Module 2 – Ryan Daley

rld5254

In my diagram I’m showing the connection between the family in the village and the biogas generators. As seen in the video children often collect sticks along withe their mothers in order to have fuel for the home and for cooking. In addition to the trees and shrubs acting as fuel the farm now becomes a fuel source not only for the family but also for the new biogas generator that is being used. Once the biogas generator is being used then all of the ecosystem becomes fuel for the human population of the village. And with this new kind of energy production the women have the opportunity to create a fertilizer business out of the waste the generators produce. Now instead of just giving the village a way to cook with no smoke, the biogas generators give the family a chance to be fully self sufficient and makes their lifestyle sustainable for years to come. When comparing my diagram to figure 1.5 in the Marten reading I see some similarities and also some differences. In both diagrams we chose children and human population as social systems and all of the ecosystems i picked were also in the Marten reading. Where our diagrams differ is my choice to put ‘women’ in my diagram. I feel as though the women in these villages are a very important social system that needs to be taken into account. We have similarities because i thin k there is no way around certain systems such as the biogas generators and human populations. We have differences because the diagram is subject to the eyes of the creator, some systems might be perceived as more important than others by certain people. I think, from the comparison of my diagram to the one in figure 1.5 of the Marten reading, we can lean more about the women’s role in the villages and also their roles  in making the villages more sustainable and self sufficient.

One thought on “Module 2 – Ryan Daley

1. Hi,

I appreciate your focus on women as I, too, feel the women in the film were important to the overall situation in Bangalore. While I had used a specific box on my diagram to represent the women, I had not noticed their absence from the Marten diagram until reading your post. I don’t think referencing the women specifically is only a matter of social justice, rather I feel to get a comprehensive appreciation of the dynamics at play in the situation requires specifically mentioning the role of the women in the equation. I also liked your mention of the means for conservation and utilizing more of the resources available when the biogas generators are introduced. Stretching resources while creating avenues of opportunity across the social system is not only good for the villages but good for the broader environment.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/biogas-diagram-julian-pamplin-m02/