Module 3 Activity

It is more important to perform good acts then it is to be a good person. I believe this because if any good act is done, then someone or something will benefit. If you are just a good person and do nothing or make no actions to show that you are a good person then no one benefits. Often times it is good people who are performing the good acts, so these two things typically go together. However, even if a “bad person” does a good deed, someone will still benefit from it. For example, say a millionaire donates money to a charity, however the only reason he does this is so boost his own reputation and he does not care about the charity at all. He should care about where his money is going and who he is helping but he doesn’t. So in this case the millionaire is not really a good person, but his good act still benefits people in need. That is why it is more important to do good acts then it is to be a good person. No one is affected by his thoughts, but they are affected by his actions.

At first I thought I believed that my life was worth the same as everyone else’s. But after thinking about it I realized that I think my life is more valuable then other people. This question was difficult because I did not think of myself as a selfish person, but then when I thought about it I realized I don’t really do a lot to help others. I’ll help my friends and family when they need me, but I rarely help strangers, and that makes me selfish. I put my own feelings and preferences above others, which means I believe my life is worth more and more important. I am aware that I have done nothing to earn or deserve this feeling of empowerment but it is just how I think. I usually make sure that I am happy or comfortable before I go and try to help other people. I think most people think in a similar way that I do, but not everyone views it as being selfish. I didn’t see it as being selfish either until really thinking about it. No one wants to call him or herself selfish, but most of us are.

I do not think the pleasure and pain of non-human animals are as important as the pleasure and pain of humans. I think this way because it goes back to the answer to the previous question that says myself, and most humans, are selfish. We value ourselves more then any of the other species that we share the Earth with. I think that humans do take advantage of the other species, more so then we need to or should, however I am still more concerned about the well being of humans then any other species. I believe that we need to protect non-human animals, but mainly so humans can survive longer because we are reliant on many of the animals that are around us. If all of the other species and non-human animals die, then we will also die. I care about non-human animals, however if I have to choose I will make sure that a human has less pain then a non-human animal.

3 thoughts on “Module 3 Activity

1. Hi Chris! My name is Cassandra Oresko and I completely agree with your entry upon making good decisions or being a good person. We related on similar thoughts that if you are a good person but make no good actions, there is no possible way to show you’re a good person. It is necessary to take action, not just thoughts. However, we contrasted upon our views of being selfish. This interested me because you considered your life more valuable than others. Ethics state that it’s important to give back to nature, people, family, friends, etc., but in my ethics opinion, I was born and raised to realize that it is okay to be selfish; we need to make sacrifices for ourselves. Great post, please check out my blog if you have a chance! http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/author/cao5241/

2. Hi Chris! My name is Maura McGonigal. Here is a link to my blog-http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/31/module-3-maura-mcgonigal/. I really enjoyed your response to the question: Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)? I think you example was a very valid point. Your example of the millionaire donating money also relates to the concepts of distributive vs. procedural justice. Distributive justice focuses on the outcome/consequence of an action. As you mentioned, the action of donating money positively effects others and therefore matters more than the reason the money was donated.

3. Hello Christopher I’m Will and I think I share many of the same opinions as you. In response to the first question I agree with your statements that actions will benefit others. I think for me that this question comes down to the fact that performing good actions make someone a good person, or else they would not perform these actions. I think your example of a millionaire is a great example, and I agree that his actions are more important than his thoughts. I still believe that if he is willing to donate this much money even just for his reputation there is some good in this person. I also feel the same about the second question and third question, but I believe this is programmed into all humans. This selfishness is fueled by our desire to survive. I enjoyed reading your post and if you have time and would like to read mine I have attached a link to it below:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/31/lesson-3-william-graf/