Christianna Woodling Module 3

1.) I think it is more important to perform good acts than to be a good person. Don’t get me wrong, in reality I think both are essential, but if I had to pick one over the other it would be performing good acts. In the virtue vs action section of the reading it gives the example of “is it better to be someone who cares about the environment or to be someone who takes action to help the environment?”. In the grand scheme of things its the action of doing good deeds that is going to better the world, not just thinking about doing them. As with the example with the environment, sure someone may really love the environment but their love isn’t going to stop pollution, deforestation, ect. Even if the person doing the action of cleaning up litter doesn’t actually care about the environment, it is at least being helped, and thats more important.

2.) The pleasure and pain of non-human animals absolutely matters just as much as humans’. The concept of speciesism holds true for a lot of people I feel. Its easy to only be focused on the well-being of mankind, and to just assume that every other species on the planet can’t feel or doesn’t care. However, I have had plenty of hands on experience with animals ( I work at a veterinary hospital) to know that they do indeed have feelings. Even if an organism that is not considered to be very intelligent, perhaps a fish, should still always be taken into consideration. We are not the only species on the planet and it is completely selfish to disregard other species. Our planet is one big ecosystem and thinking just for the human race, being selfish could really be self destructive, as all of our resources come from many parts of the environment and animals. Just because non-human animals don’t have a voice doesn’t mean they should be ignored. In fact we need more people in the world to be their voices.

3.) I believe ecosystems matter for their own sake. In relation to the previous question, I think humans overall are very selfish. Many people hold the feelings of speciesism, and many people also view the environment from an anthropocentric perspective. Too many people look at a forest and only see the tons of trees that can be cut down to provide wood to make profit. When I look at a forest I see a home to many different organisms and an amazing self-regulating ecosystem. Anthropocentrism and Speciesism pretty much go hand in hand. Both view that humans are ultimately most important. Ecosystems are a huge part of our lives both indirectly and directly. Everything we need to survive comes from the environment. If all of our actions were based solely on what benefits humans we would end up destroying all of the ecosystems. We are intelligent enough to compromise between the two and to find ways that benefits both humans and ecosystems or that at least do not damage ecosystems.

5 thoughts on “Christianna Woodling Module 3

1. Hi, I’m Natalie. I’m a freshman majoring in Art Education and Pre-law. Heres my link:http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/natalie-hall-ethics-m03/

I have an opposing view for the good acts v good person question. I think that good acts come with being a good person. If you are a bad/not good person are your acts really good? Or is there another motive behind them? I question the sincerity of “good” acts made by not good people. I understand your point of being a good person and not solving any serious issues, however someone has to start somewhere.

2. Christianna,
    Very well-thought out opinions and arguments. I especially like your linking of anthropocentrism and speciesism. After thinking about this ethics discussion and examining the issues I am going to speak with my neighbor who is a vegan. The argument seems compelling.I am also sympathetic with your opinions on the environment. I loo forward to seeing what your project will be.
    Mike Evangelista
    You can see my post at http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/03/geog-030-module-…-my-ethics-views/

3. Hi Christianna, my name is Shoheb. your post stuck out to me because we both choseto respond to questions 1 and 5. I really found it interesting because because we had different views on both questions. Even with our different views, I thought your responses were great, and made me think a little more about the other viewpoint. Great work once agian!.

Here is the link to my post. Thank you.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/ethics-8/

4. Hi my name is Jonah Kim and here is my blog:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/02/module-3-jonah-kim/
    The fact that you chose to answer questions 1 and 4 just like I did made me want to read your response. I thought the same for question 1. But for question four I thought similarly and differently. I know that’s confusing but let me explain. So at first your answer to question 4 is that the preservation is important for the sake of the environment for the sake of the environment. Also, you’re very empathetic to the wild life in the ecosystems. I disagree with all of that because I’m just thinking as all humans do. selfishly and that is where I start to agree with you. you slightly bring up the fact that everything we need to survive comes from the environment. I think that is really what’s important. and that’s how I concluded my answer of ecosystems mattering for the sake of human impact.

5. Hi Christianna,

After reading your response to question 1, I see where you are coming from. My only issue with your answer is that the example you give to back up your opinion is extremely biased. What I mean by this is that with the environment, if no actions are taken living things will die. But what if we used another example such as two brothers who have not spoken since they are 18 and 20 but are now 32 and 34 and the older brother is getting married. The older brother has a large company that is worth a ton of money and the younger brother knows about this company and would really like a job at his older brother’s firm. The younger brother shows up at the older brother’s wedding with a brand new car and an apology for lost time. These are all good acts, but they have alternative motives. This is why I do not agree with your opinion. Overall your responses seem very logical and have great information to back up your opinions! Great work.

Best,
    Chase Sandler
    Here is a link to my post: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/03/chase-sandler-learning-activity-3/