Ryan Hegedus Module 3

1.

It is more important to be a good person then to be a person who performs good deeds. I think that virtue ethics are superior then action ethics. This is because you can perform good deeds day in and day out but you might not actually be a good person. Someone might be doing this everyday just for show, publicity, or because they have to. The people who do good acts just to have the recognition are not good people. They might be out and doing stuff in the community but deep down they know this is all a lie. Instead a good person is good at heart. A good person does good acts at the same time as just being a good person. They know what they are and so does their creator and they do not feel that they have to perform good acts, but they want to. Just because you perform good acts does not mean you are a good person, and that is what is most important.

5.

The pleasure and pain of non-human animals do not matter as much as the pleasure and pain of humans. I believe this to be true because humans are entirely different than animals. We are all after life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness and in order to attain that goal, some animals will be hurt along the way. I do believe that all beings are created equal, but in order to live animals are going to get slaughtered. They are going to be eaten in order for humans to survive. If I had to make a choice I would inflict pain to an animal over a human every time. I do not go out looking to hurt animals whatsoever, it is just what I believe. I look at animals as food not as equals in that regard because we are at the top of the food chain. But once again I do believe we are equal as having a right to the Earth. So I do value a human’s pleasure and pain over an animal’s.

6.

I believe my own life is worth the same as anyone else’s. When it all boils down, all that matters is who the guy is next to you. No human is in the position to say whose life matters more than another. All lives matter. Yes,there are times when I just lookout for myself and do what is right for me, but I do not make the decision because I think I am better than someone else. I make it because it is what is best for myself. In order to help others, I have to make decisions for myself first to even be able to begin to help others. Also my family is important to me, but someone else’s family does not have any less importance. We all should take that into consideration. Equality is key to a happy world.

2 thoughts on “Ryan Hegedus Module 3

1. Hi Ryan!
    My name is Andrea and I 100% agree with what you said in question one. I actually made some similar points as you did. After reading through some of the blogs I started to feel as if I had the unpopular opinion, which may be true but I’m glad to see that I am not entirely only on the viewpoints of question one. I did think what you said in question five was very interesting though. At first I did not agree at all with your first line but as I kept reading you allowed it to make sense tough question but great answer. The more I think about it the more I agree with you. I want animals to be equal but they really just aren’t due to humans feeding off of them. I also agree with your answer to number six, all lives matter and we want to be selfish but when it comes to everybody in general, everybody deserves the same way of life.
    If you want to check out what I said about question 1,4 and 6 here is the link to my blog for module 3:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/my-ethical-views/

2. Hey Ryan,
    My name is Rachel. I think you have an interesting point with question 1, but I think that performing good acts is more important than being a good person. I didn’t think to consider your idea of the false perception that may exist with bad people performing good acts. I though about it in a more broader sense that it is better for action to be taken rather than to think good thoughts. The idea of virtue ethics is what we should be, and action ethics emphasizes what we should do. I think actions speak louder than words, so I feel that performing actions is more important.
    Nice considerations on the other two questions!
    Check out my blog: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bhh