Do you know the true harms of plastic bags and coal burning?

1. The location of this case study takes place within Ireland and it focuses on solid waste management with plastic bags.  The link to this website is http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/litter.htm.  The goal contained in this development was to help keep the ‘green image’ of Ireland.  The problem that they faced was that too many plastic bags were being left within the environment as litter. To try and solve this, the government made retailers pay for plastic bags which made them charge the customers for them.  With doing this, the customers began to buy and reuse cloth bags each time which lead to a decrease in the litter of plastic bags by about 95%.  This relates to the module in that it is a good solution towards obtaining sustainable development.  The governments reaction in Ireland not only reduced plastic bag litter by 95%, but made the people more involved to change their ways not only in a short-term, but in a long-term manner.
  2. The location of this case study takes place within Japan and neighboring Asia countries.  It focuses on air pollution and acid rain.  The link to this website is http://www.kwanga.net/chemnotes/case-study-3.pdf.  This study focuses on how acid rain negatively affects the world’s environment.  There are laws putting regulations on emissions of hazardous gases from factories and automobiles but the problem is that these laws aren’t being enforced.  Asian countries are big producers of toxins as they use coal burning machines.  These toxins threaten forests, air, water, and people’s health.  Japan has been financing projects for China as well to set up systems to collect data to fix environmental problems across East Asia.  In reading this study, it reminded me of the video within Module 5 that pertained to “how the west dump electronic waste in Africa and India”.  When burning the items, toxins are released just like a coal burning machine.  Yes, the electronic waste is more hazardous, but they both ruin the environment and people’s health.
  3. The location for my comparison is Barnesville, PA, as this is where I live.  I travel the same roads daily and see many plastic bags among the litter on the sides of the road.  Some stores have bins that you can return the plastic bags for recycling while others offer reusable bags for a small fee.  I recently shopped in a store where there were no bags.  These solutions help somewhat with the plastic bag problem but not to the extent of a 95% improvement.  I think the charge for plastic bags would be a great solution in my area.  The second case study showed how coal burning machines affect the environment negatively in contributing to acid rain.  I found this study interesting as I live in the coal region.  I never realized how the toxins released from coal burning had such an adverse reaction.  It is important to examine geographic place and time as different areas are subjected to different situations that affect the environment.  Knowing what influences your area can make you more knowledgeable in your decisions so you can preserve your environment for future generations.

3 thoughts on “Do you know the true harms of plastic bags and coal burning?

1. Hi Tyler. My name is Cody and my blog post is located here [http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/whats-a-fish-cost/]. I was drawn to your post because I spent my summer in Solana Beach, California, where they recently imposed a surcharge if you opt for plastic bags at the grocery store. The tax is small, but has significantly reduced waste and pollution to the ocean from the coastal town. Such a simple idea as a solution!

2. Hi my name is Ashlee. I agree with your statement in your comparison that a charge for plastic bags would be a great help to lessen plastic pollution. I live near a Walmart and the surrounding area is just littered with bags and trash from people and it is awful.I did not know that burning coal contributed to acid rain and I found that part very interesting. Here is a link to my blog if you’d like to take a look, http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/module-5-4/.

3. Hello Tyler. It is impressive how one simple solution such as a charge for bags and supply of reusable bags basically solved the problem for Ireland. I know around these parts, most stores offer reusable bags and it seems like it has made a difference in the plastic wasted. However, not quite a change like they had. I remember growing up my step-father always use to tell me how the rain has changed since he was a kid. He would say the rain never used to have a smell when he was a kid and now from so many factories pumping toxins into the air, rain actually has a sent similarly how bottled water only has a taste due to the addition of minerals. Some places out west use to be so bad that the rain would actually melt paint off of cars if left uncovered.

If interested, here is a link to my post about climate finance,
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/climate-financing/