Module 5 Shaud

My first case study was the Union Carbide Gas Release in Bhopal, India. This is from the environmental justice case study: http://www.umich.edu/%7Esnre492/lopatin.html

India is considered a country that has a high GDP because it is a good place to outsource business to. However it has a lower quality of life compared to the U.S. It has a much lower GDP per capita than we do. India now is a pretty developed country but back in 1969 it was not. In 1969 a company called Union Carbide opened a plant in India to produce pesticides.There was a strong market for pesticides in the country and it helped increase agricultural output and also created more industry in the country.The case study focuses on the massive disaster that occurred in 1984. A chemical called MIC leaked from the plant and became soaked in the surrounding land.  Casualties went as high as 2500 people and there were hundreds of thousands of casualties.  This created a massive problem because the country of India settled out of court for a mere 470 million dollars, not even enough to cover the medical costs of the victims. A development that came out of this was increased community organizer action and a push for more stringent regulation and punishment of businesses. There have also been developments to create jobs for those affected by the disaster.

My second case study involves the microloans in Africa described here http://www.thp.org/knowledge-center/poverty/microfinance/

This study involves the idea that sending small credit loans to disenfranchised African women would help ease the burden of hunger there are overall help the people. Obviously Africa is under-developed and a poor area so sending more there is key. In order to make most efficient use of the money, the idea is to send small loans to women who would begin to produce food and other goods. Not only does this improve the economy, it helps solves the hunger problem as well. The idea behind this is that by giving money to those who need on a small personal scale instead of a large government controlled infusion of cash, people will be able to create a stronger economy at the local level. This is important because of the key problems about Africa is the weak financial markets that are unable to get money to those who really need it. Microloans help solve that problem. This connects to the course discussions on GDP and per capita GDP. Developments in this area will not only increase GDP but instead of clustering it in large companies, it will distribute the money to those who are poor and in need of work.

These two case studies connect to my hometown, which is just outside of Philadelphia. They show the disconnect between large business that inflate GDP and provide jobs but often are less than perfect for the environment. Pollution levels and other problems have occurred from large companies and shipyards polluting the rivers in Philadelphia. It connects on another level because oftentimes small businesses are not able to get as much credit as they may need. Our system of financing is very strong however and in this day and age, competent owners will be able to take out loans and improve the economy. Because we are relatively much more developed than Africa and India, the problems of corporations polluting and financing are much better regulated and handled. Being from a place with these strong developments in place really increases the quality of life and opens up many opportunities.

2 thoughts on “Module 5 Shaud

1. Hey James,
    My name is Dorish and I am a student at Penn State University Park. I like how you focused on different areas of development than just environmental development because it is really important when looking at geography to consider health effects of human decisions too. The hunger problem is a huge problem when looking at different countries that aren’t the United States because we really underestimate how large it is until we physically see it with our eyes. By allowing for small credit loans, the economy and hunger situation can both be addressed, which looks at the GDP and hunger aspects of development.

Great blog post. Check mine out if you can!
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/module-5-case-studies-2/

Sincerely,
    Dorish

2. Hi James, my name is Alex and I’m from the Worthington Campus. On my entry I wrote about deforestation in Madagascar along with a massive population increase due to the introduction of vaccines. I also wrote about nuclear reactors in Chernobyl and the effects it had to the land and the people. Such as farmland being destroyed and people’s health effects after exposure to the radiation.
    I like your case studies because the use of chemicals have always concerned me and one of those reasons are the chemicals seeping into the ground! This has detrimental effects on people’s health, as you pointed out, and it happens all the time! Areas surrounding Monsanto in the U.S have problems similar. Also, I like your second case study because it talks about giving loans to those who will give back by helping the economy on a small business scale.
    If you’d like to look at my post here’s the link!
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bBs