Annaliese Long – Case Studies in Development

1. My first case study was found on the Colby – Sustainable Development website and the link is: http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/Famplan.htm. This case study is about improving the huge population size in India. The Indian government has set forth many policies and acts in order to decrease the size of the population. They have tried controlling the sizes of the families by contraception and sterilization. These new developments are to hopefully lower the population to a more sustainable and maintainable size. This case study relates to ideas learned in the module because since India’s population is so large, the country is becoming less sustainable for its people. More and more resources are becoming scarce, so people in India are living in terrible living conditions. Throughout history, India has struggled with trying to sterilize people and have them use contraception in order to limit the amount of people in the country. These means of contraception and sterilization were dangerous and forced, which is why people did not want to participate.
  2. My second case study was found on the website: http://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2014/mar/27/japan-solution-providing-care-ageing-population. This case study is about dealing with the large population of older people in Japan. The Japanese government has introduced several policies and systems in order to manage this large portion of older people. The problem with all of these older people is that they are unable to be part of the working population anymore. So the amount of people working in Japan is decreasing at an alarming rate. Also, the younger generation is having to pick up for their lack of work. Japan introduced a new insurance plan for this older generation. It also is attempting to bring more foreigners into the country to even out the generation problem. This case study relates to ideas learned in the module because Japan is becoming less sustainable because there aren’t enough people in the working force. With less people working, it is difficult to get more things made and accomplished which is a problem in an efficient country like Japan.
  3. I am from the town of Pottstown in Pennsylvania. Both of these case studies and problems relate to the area that I am from. Both of these case studies have to do with population problems. But my hometown relates more to the first case study about overpopulation, instead of the second case study because the majority of our population here is not elderly people. We have more of an influx of people coming into our town. Also, recently the majority of our population is younger people because of these people moving into our town and having children. Because of all these people moving here, parts of our farmlands are turning into residential living areas. So now that there is more people, there is less farmland, producing less food, even though we need more food for more people. It is a difficult balance to maintain sustainability and a growing population and an efficient economy.

5 thoughts on “Annaliese Long – Case Studies in Development

1. Hi Annaliese,
    The case study regarding India and their population control measures are quite scary. What are your personal feelings regarding population control using sterilization? Sterilization from my knowledge who be an extreme measure of population control. It’s not surprising that the masses didn’t participate. Were there other sustainable birth control options that the government explored?

Feel free to check out my blog at:
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/29/development/

2. Hi Annaliese, I’m Tyler and your post caught my eye because of the population issues in Japan. One of my articles discussed Dakar, Senegal, where residents were turning to compact vertical gardens. The gardens require little space and can be maintained by some of the elderly population. While providing Japan’s elderly population with vertical gardens would not solve the economy issue, they may enjoy some fresh tomatoes.

3. Hi Annaliese, I’m Siying and here’s the link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/26/comparing-carbon-emission-policies/
    I like your topic about population problem, and I agree that it’s problematic in India and Japan. I’m from China, which is also known for the country with the largest population but the government have different policies to deal with population in different times. In the 90s there was the One Child Policy which helped control the population growth, but now since we’re also facing the problem that Japan had, the government recently phased out the policy.