Module 6

1. In my family, we try to limit our food waste to as little as possible. My father is a

hunter and, for many generations in our family, the males have always have been hunters.

Personally, I feel a little different on the subject of hunting, but I have always been lucky to

have food on the table no matter what it was. My father typically hunts for pheasants, duck,

and deer. These have never been my favorite types of food due to my picky taste, but

because of my culture and social norms of my family I was forced to eat it. It has always

been important that we do not waste food because there are some families that are not able

to put food on the table. Also my parents believe that if the food is good for you and gives

you energy to go on with your day, then there is no excuse not to eat it.

2. Due to my father’s beliefs on hunting and gathering our food, I have to respect what

he does for our family. If I did not respect our family’s social norms and did not eat what

was provided to me then this would be a societal issue of food waste. This is perfectly good

food that would be wasted on behalf of my picky taste. There are many people that are

dying of hunger due to lack of food and if I would not eat this just because I do not like the

taste then it would just be wasting it. Overall, I think that it is important to be grateful for

what I am given even if I do not enjoy it because there are families out there that do not

have what I have to nourish my body.

Screen Shot 2016-03-02 at 1.03.00 PM

2 thoughts on “Module 6

1. Hi, my name is Baixue Chen. Your post caught my eye due to the fact that your family are hunters. It is just so special that I even cannot image the life your family have, and I am so curious about the taste of deer and pheasants. However, I doubt that meat from hunted animals are healthier than meat from “industrial agriculture”. I believe wild animals maybe carry with parasites that can damage to human health. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/m06/

2. Hello! My name is Melanie and I thought your post was really great. I loved how you talked about not wasting food. That is so incredibly important. I completely agree that it’s so important to know and remember that there are families out there suffering from hunger. We should never take what we have for granted.

Link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bFz