Obesity vs. Food Waste

1. Many times when I go out to lunch or dinner with friends or family, my choice of food is largely determined by what everyone else is getting. For example, if I am out with my friends, I choose meals that have relatively the same amount of food and type of food. If they order a meat product, I normally do too. If they choose to just order a salad, I will too. After reflecting on why I may do this, I have realized that I feel uncomfortable eating more or less than those I am dining with. The social norms this is connected with may be those dealing with portion control and body weight. I do not want to seem like an overeater, or in contrast, a light, stingy eater. In the same way, I do not want to make people feel like they are over or under eating either.
  1. Societal issues connected to my food choices are obesity and food waste. Overeating is just one cause of obesity. Other causes include genetics and lack of exercise. Obesity has gotten a lot of media attention recently, specifically childhood obesity. Just as I may feel pressured at times to eat more than I would like, others may be in similar situations, contributing to obesity statistics. However, if people are under-eating, food waste becomes the issue. When this is the case, issues of distributive justice become apparent. Distributive justice is the idea that one chooses foods that leave food for others. For example, it is not uncommon to be reprimanded for not finishing the food on your plate and how this is wasteful to people who cannot afford food. The social norm of portion control and body weight should be adjusted so that body shaming isn’t involved. The norms should center more around the proper nutrition for your own body type and less on desired body types.

food_diagram_avm5862

3 thoughts on “Obesity vs. Food Waste

1. Hi Alyssa, you brought up an interesting point about eating out in large groups. Many times, I will buy what someone else got, or I will agree to share a dish with someone based on our similar preferences. This peer pressure can have many negative effects down the road both on the environment and society as a whole, so it is important to address as soon as possible. If you would like to check out my blog post, you can find it here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/module-6-food-choice/

2. Hi, Alyssa! My name is Melanie and I was drawn to your post at first because I, too, wrote about obesity and food waste. However, when I started reading it, I really liked what you were writing about because I think it was really relatable. I feel like there is so much pressure on everyone these days to watch what they are eating, whether it be a lot or a little. I think you worded everything really well. Very relatable and overall great post!

Link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bFz

3. Hi Alyssa,

I really liked your blog, and you touched on something that I never consciously think about when going out to eat. I also base what I order on what other people get, and I am sure a lot of people do this. It could definitely contribute to obesity like you said because people could feel pressured to eating more. It is sad that our human population feels this way but it could definitely be a factor in the obesity epidemic. Good job, here is the link to my blog if you are interested: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/the-influence-of-social-norms-on-food-choice/