Urban Planning Across the World

My hometown is Ronkonkoma, New York. It is in the center of Long Island and is about 1 hour and 30 minutes East of New York City. In addition, the population is around 20,000 people. Living here, I am close to the beaches and that is my favorite part. With the closest beach being 15 minutes away, it is easy to spend most of my summer there. I would describe my hometown as an automobile suburb. Automobiles are a major form of transportation and every household has at least one automobile. Sidewalks are not always available to walk on and stores, gas stations, schools, restaurants are most easily accessed by automobile. Although there are a few public busses to use, they are not used often by the people in my town as people typically drive. I would consider my hometown to have a lower urban density since houses are surrounded by yards and are not densely packed together. There are also wide streets within the neighborhoods and this decreases the urban density of the area.

Comparing my hometown to Copenhagen, Denmark, there are clear differences in the levels of sustainability. In Copenhagen, many citizens travel on foot or by bicycle, while in my hometown people drive to where they need to go. It is easy to see how the low use of automobiles has increased the sustainability of Copenhagen as there is less air pollution compared to places with more automobile use. Since the use of bicycles is also a social norm in Copenhagen, it is widely accepted for people to use this. Their use of alternate transportation is a great alternative compared to my hometown, but since buildings in my hometown are relatively far from each other, it would be difficult to instill using bicycles as transportation. Also since this is not currently part of any social norms, it would be difficult to transition most people from cars to bicycles.

Comparing my hometown to Haiti, there are also clear differences in the levels of sustainability. In Haiti, there are more areas of urban farming and with this, the people are able to provide food for themselves and their families without having to travel far to get it. With urban farming the food is grown locally and, as it is stated in the module, requires less transportation and thus reduces the ecological footprint. In my hometown, there aren’t many people who have food gardens in their yards. My mom used to take care of one but because she became busier, she hasn’t had the time to tend to it. I think that this is a trend where I live because urban farming isn’t a necessity where I live as people can go to the store and buy their food. I think that urban farming would definitely increase the sustainability and decrease the ecological footprint, but I think the people are too busy to farm.

3 thoughts on “Urban Planning Across the World

1. Hey Laura
    I took interest in your blog because I also live near a body of water and thats also my favorite thing to do in the summer! I also live somewhere where automobiles are the main means of transportation and I agreed with what you had to say on how to make your city more sustainable and I can completely relate that to my own.Feel free to check out my blog! https://wp.me/p3RCAy-c20

2. Hi Laura,

My name is Cassie and this is the link to my blog post: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/14/urban-planning-cassie-hess/.
    I enjoyed reading your post because Long Island is an area that I travel to a lot and is somewhat similar to my own area. I am also very close to the beach which I love. My town is also highly dependent on cars to get around. I think that the concept of urban farming in Haiti is so interesting. I sincerely hope in the future that towns like yours and my own can in some way adopt these methods of sustainability. Just because it is not a necessity for us to grow our own food should not mean that we don’t.

3. Hello Laura,
    Your blog caught my attention because my hometown is similar in the fact that it is also an automobile suburb. Sidewalks are rare in my area as well. Lower density is also very common in my local area. I wonder whether a bicycle initiative such as Copenhagen’s could be instituted in an automobile suburb. I like your point how people in suburban areas are more than likely too busy to attend to a personal garden. Check out my blog at: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-c1c.