Pedestrian-Oriented Cities; Module 7

1)    I live in a non-urban area of Barnesville, PA, where unfortunately I can’t walk to any vital places, and there really are no vital places, in my neighborhood.  The closet pedestrian-oriented city around me is Tamaqua.  Tamaqua has approximately seven thousand people.  A few of my aunts, uncles, and cousins are in that count.  I never thought there was anything special about Tamaqua as it’s really small and less pedestrian-oriented than a bigger city.  For how small it is, the town really makes a positive impact on the people who live there.  There are sidewalks with trees, parks, playgrounds, office buildings, doctor offices, dentists, specialists, lawyers, pharmacies, food restaurants, stores, grocery stores, banks, a public swimming pool, library, and post office that all within walking distance.  Yes, a lot of people do not walk to all of these places, but if they do want to cut down on car use there is a public transportation system that will take them across town or even out of it.  Having everything so close in this small town is great and very pedestrian-oriented.

2)      In this module, the city that I found interesting was Copenhagen.  The car-free streets and slow speed zones are a great idea.  It is very people oriented and brings people together to enjoy their city and each other.  I feel that this is relevant to the city of Tamaqua because it is a small town and adopting this idea would bring the community together.  The people of Copenhagen love the advantage of having this special privilege to access all of their favorite places safely which also helps brings a lot of business into the stores.  This could be very beneficial to the stores in Tamaqua.  Also, another thing I loved about Copenhagen was the slower speed limit.  I personally feel that this should be enforced in every town as driving through towns could be very dangerous.  If Tamaqua took after the city of Copenhagen I guarantee it would be safer and more enjoyed by its residents and visitors as a pedestrian-oriented city.

3)     The second city that I found interesting was Bogota, Columbia.  The process of making cycling and physical activity a social norm was a very smart way to help get their people healthier in safe way. If people are already biking, skating boarding, running, and walking trying to have fun and become healthier , why not take a few hours out of one day to make it safer for them?  The way Bogota, Columbia takes each Sunday is amazing and I believe that if Tamaqua did this, the civilians would utilize it and love every second of it.  I personally feel that if Tamaqua and other towns within my area did this, the towns would grow in popularity and become more fun for the towns people.

One thought on “Pedestrian-Oriented Cities; Module 7

1. Hi, my name is Alex and I’m from the Worthington Campus. I chose to comment on your entry because I live in a very small town where walking to places isn’t a very prominent activity either. It’s nice that you have an area close by with a contrast though! I’ve passed by Tamaqua several times but never thought it would be the way you described, so that’s cool. I like that you chose Columbia for increasing exercise. Not only is it enjoyable to walk or cycle but it’s beneficial too. If you’d like to check out my post here’s the link: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-ctv