Calhoun, Ben-Blog entry 1

Hello, my name is Ben Calhoun. I currently live in Port Orchard, Washington, but for a significant portion of my childhood I lived in southern California. I love the idea and practice of sustainability and green energy. My home and property are largely chemical free and organic, from the food we grow to even how we clean we truly strive to make a minimal impact. I am by no means a “hippy”. I  hunt, I fish and my family and friends all seem to enjoy pointing out that I’m still quite the “type A knuckledragger”.  Because of my passions for the environment and sustainability, I would like to end up working somewhere in conservation or green energy. I don’t have a specific goal at this time. Aside from this course being a requirement for my degree, I have always been interested in geography. It seems to be the most multidisciplinary inclusive subject I have ever encountered. We all seem to have some type of information or experience to add to the larger picture.

In regards to my thoughts on issues that geography would be well suited to address, I have one that stands out strongest in my mind. In my county, all of our water is sourced from groundwater which is provided nearly entirely from rainfall, as we have no snow pack. In order to maintain an adequate and sustainable supply of water we depend on natural features like wetlands to maintain the supply. As the population in the county increases (and it has been for several years), residential development has grown ever closer to these sensitive ares and in some cases, they have even been filled and built over. I can see geography being incredibly important in identifying these areas (including potential and seasonal wetland areas) to help put policy in place to restrict building and land use in these areas.

2 thoughts on “Calhoun, Ben-Blog entry 1

1. Hi Ben. I am Tenaya. I currently live in Fort Worth, Texas but was born and raised in a small rural town in Illinois. I like the green lifestyle you have created for your family. I do not have much land but I also have a garden and do not use any chemicals for my fruits or vegetables. When it comes to cleaning products I have to agree with you on that too, I haven’t bought cleaning products in years that have chemicals in them. I have tried several ways to keep the bugs and animals away, some have not worked at all while a couple work till it rains. Urbanization is not always a positive fix, the water supply issue being one of the negatives along with tearing down good vegetation for new urban development.
    My blog address is:
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/14/tenaya-mulvey-getting-to-know-you/

2. Hi Ben. I’m Yuying. I’m from China, go to Penn State University-University Park for my underrate education. I currently live in State College, and major in Geography. I see your point about environmental issues. It’s important for urban planner to well organize urban areas. Urbanisation sometimes can carry out environmental issues, like what you mentioned about water resources. Learning geography can help us to know how can people deal with such problems. Maybe using GIS technology to better plan urban areas.
    My blog address is http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/14/getting-to-know-you-3/