Learning Activity: Getting to Know You

Hello everyone! My name is Kayla Crestani and I am a sophomore here at University Park. I grew up and still live in a small town just outside State College called Snow Shoe, PA.  I am majoring in Early Childhood Education with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies.  After graduating, I will be certified to teach grades Pre-K through 4 which has always been a dream of mine!  I took this course not only because it is a requirement for my major, but also because I am interested in learning more about how humans interact and change the environments they’re in.  As for a little more about me, I love the outdoors and spending my free time hunting, fishing, and just exploring my neck of the woods!

When reading through module 1, I was particularly interested in the human-environment interactions section.  It is so important for everyone to be educated on the topic of sustainability.  Every move we make as inhabitants on Earth leaves a mark.  People need to be educated in ways to make their marks on the world more positive and useful for generations to come.  Given some of the issues we face in the world right now, such as the drought in California, it can be scary to think of what the world will look like hundreds or even 20 years from now.  What major issues will we face in the future as a result of our own doing? I want my kids to be able to experience the world I grew up in and all of the amazing things the great outdoors has to offer.  However, for this to happen, we must start being more thoughtful of our own impacts and the bigger picture for the years to come.

3 thoughts on “Learning Activity: Getting to Know You

1. Hi Kayla,
    I enjoyed reading your post! I too am an early childhood education major, good luck with your studies! I also discussed the importance of sustainability in my post as well. I think it is crucial that more people become aware of the large impact us humans have on the environment. And that we come up with alternatives so we don’t run out of sources! As future teachers, we could use this topic with our students and find fun ways as a class or school to educate others and come up with ways that we could make a difference in the environment!
    Here is my post:
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aRt

2. Hi Kayla!
    After reading your first blog post I noticed that we share a lot of the same concerns about how people’s individual actions affect our planet. In my blog post I mentioned how people don’t understand what a huge impact their own individual actions can have. If everyone does not become aware of how destructive they can actually be, then future generations of people won’t experience the world as we did and that just isn’t fair. Hopefully in the near future everyone will be able to become more educated on this very important subject. Your post was nicely written and had great insight!

3. Hi, Kayla:
    Nice you meet you! I realize we have lots of things in common after reading your introduction: you and I are both sophomore at University Park! I think your dream of becoming a teacher is very cool, and I hope you will get a job relates to what you enjoy doing in the future.
    As you mentioned, sustainability is an important concept that everyone should understand. We need to know how our behaviors influence the surrounding environment; and how changes in the environment impact our lives.
    Here is a link that drives you to know a little bit more about me: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/15/getting-to-know-me/