Getting to Know You, Module 1

Hello class, my name is Katy Bordt. I am currently living in State College while I am attending PSU. I grew up outside of Pittsburgh. I am pursuing a career in Nuclear Engineering. I am interested in this course because it is extremely different than my engineering classes. Furthermore, I want to know more about the environment and what has to be done to sustain our current environment. This is my first Geography course. I have taken many other general electives in my 5 years at PSU, such as Anthropology and Kinesiology courses. Also,  I love studying different reglions and cultures. I am an animal lover, mostly a dog lover.  I have a rescue dog name Aurora currently, she used to be an Alaskan sled dog. Currently, she is in her glory with the cold weather and snow on the way.

From Module 1, I believe being able to visualize what is happening in a specific place is very important. I believe maps are a very useful tool.  However, after seeing the different tube maps in the module show how differently maps can be distorted.  It shows that maps should not be taken at face value. Also, I believe the most important concept from the first module is human-environment interactions. I believe humans are the making the most impact on today’s environment. I believe that something needs to be changed in the way we as humans abuse the environment. If any classmates have opinions or ideas on what should be changed to help make our environment more sustainable I would love to hear them.

5 thoughts on “Getting to Know You, Module 1

1. Hi Katy! I love the fact that your rescue dog use to be an Alaskan sled dog. I have a dog and he’s 15 years old so he tries to avoid going out during the winter. This is my first time as well taking a Geography course. I’m pretty sure Geography wasn’t offered where I went to high school.

Nice to meet you!
    Kelsey S.

• Kelsey! I wish my dog would stay inside and not go roll in the snow! It does not have to be a lot of snow, only a dusting and she is out rolling around! I think my public high school offered a class called Geography, but it was naming were different states or countries were on a map. Also, correct me if im wrong but is Pottsville, PA where Yuengling Brewery is located?

2. Hey Katy! I’m also from Pittsburgh!!! I think it’s funny how we both have never taken a a geography class before. I mean i did in middle school, but it wasn’t actively taught throughout school. Maybe it’s the Pittsburgh Public School system? Anyway, I too think it’s going to be cool to learn about how humans have impacted the environment. As far as sustainability goes, I really just try to do my part with composting and recycling. A friend of mine used to always cut the water off while she was in the shower. She really tried not to waste water. She also had a small garden, though she lived in a house off campus. If I can think of something else, I’ll let you know. I really don’t know much about it myself.
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-aSj

• Hey Shanda! I think my public high school offered a class called Geography, but it was naming were different states or countries were on a map. It might not have been high school it could have been middle school but they tried to teach what they considered Geography. Also, I think everyone should have a small garden, even if it just tomatoes and peppers. Normally eating out from the garden is cheaper and healthier than buying for a store.

Stay Warm!

Katy