Learning Activity: Getting to Know You

My name is Lizzy DeMarshall. I am a freshman from Abington, PA, which is located about 15 minutes outside of Philadelphia. I would like to pursue a career in Civil Engineering, with a large focus on the environmental aspect of the job. That is why this course interests me. I believe that learning about how geography connects with sustainability and environmental systems will benefit me greatly with my future career and provide me with an extensive amount of useful knowledge. I also am very interested to see what this course is about, and curious to learn more about the topics within each chapter. Some other facts about myself include that I like to run, and that I would love to travel to many different places around the world one day.

There are many issues to geography that I am sure will be brought up throughout the duration of this course. While reading and learning about new geographic perspectives and approaches, an example that came to mind was the effect of a place’s location on the Earth with respect to weather. Environmentally, a place’s location on the Earth, whether it be in the Northern hemisphere, at the equator, or even if a place is next to a body of water, holds its own specific weather due to its location. By visualizing these places on a geographic map, as mentioned in Module 1, one can also spot patterns in weather. Location affects weather, which in turn, affects many other things, including humans, creating a human-environment interaction.

2 thoughts on “Learning Activity: Getting to Know You

1. I also agree that human-environment interactions are extremely important for similar reasons. I think that if we have a strong geographic understanding of an area, it can help us prepare for possible issues that can arise.

2. I also agree that human-environment interactions are exteremely important for similar reasons. I think that if we have a strong geographic understanding of an area, it can help us prepare for possible issues that can arise.