Getting to Know You: Rachel Denny

Hello Geography 030,

My name is Rachel Denny and I am a Junior at University Park studying Early Childhood Education (Prek-4). I plan to eventually be a 2nd or 3rd grade teacher. I live on campus in Pollock and I am from Beaver Falls, which is about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh. Go Steelers! Go Penguins! Go Pirates! I am interested in this course because it fulfills a requirement I need and it is online, which I enjoy. After reading about the course, I’m excited to learn more throughout the semester! Other things about me: I’m an RA, I’m the director of an a capella group, Blue in the FACE, and I love to play volleyball. My favorite color is purple and I thoroughly enjoy eating pizza. One of my goals is to get on the reality tv show Survivor.

After reading through Module 1, I feel that I am interested in the relationship between humans and the environment. I have always been very aware of the types of waste I create and how I can limit that waste or be more “green”. I’m a big fan of recycling! In relation to the module, this idea correlates with the concept of sustainability. As humans, what things are we doing that disrupt nature? How do we move past our needs and work to sustain and preserve the Earth for future generations? What happens when we “run out” of resources, or will we run out of resources? These are all things to consider when we talk about human-environment interactions. It’s really interesting because I just watched this video about this woman who has almost no waste. This is the link if you want to watch! 

https://youtu.be/nYDQcBQUDpw

4 thoughts on “Getting to Know You: Rachel Denny

1. Hi Rachel!
    My name’s Lexie and I’m also an Early Ed Major! I also live on campus, in Eastview Terrace..and I’m also a 3rd year student, so we have LOTS in common. This course also fulfills a requirement needed for me but I hope to come out of the course full of knowledge in geography related issues!

I’m also big on recycling! I love to collect cans and bottles back at home, which is Syracuse, NY. Not only is it extra change in my pocket but it’s also very beneficial for the environment!