Julie Hetu- Biogas Diagram

The core idea of my diagram is to simply express the effect that the invention of the Biogas Generator has on both the social system and ecosystem of this area in India. This diagram shows the numerous beneficial effects that the Biogas Generator has on the social system such as increases in finances, education, farming, and the decrease in health issues. After reviewing my diagram, it is easy to notice that the Biogas Generator creates many positive feedback loops. For example, the people in the village cook the food, produce waste which is needed for the biogas generator, which then produces compost and methane gas, which leads to increased farming and better health conditions. The increased farming increases finances which in return leads to more cooking, and the loop starts again.

Compared to Marten’s figure, both of the diagrams have the social system and ecosystem on separate sides which show the linkages between the two. The main difference between my diagram and Marten’s diagram is that mine shows the basic increases, decreases, and effects of the two systems on each other, but Marten’s has more description and doesn’t necessarily say the outcome of the linkages. There are similarities and differences between these two diagrams because everyone is going to have different interpretations and different views, but the similarities are going to be there because it is the same concrete information that is given. However, from looking at both diagrams, the main idea will be seen that a Biogas Generator is very useful to these villages in India.

Biogas_jlh6441

2 thoughts on “Julie Hetu- Biogas Diagram

1. Hello Julie
    My name is Justin, and i wrote about how my diagram showed how the biogas stove led to better health and an educated population. Its nice that we both drew connections to heath. I focused on how removing the smoke from the wood, would lower respiratory irritations. i was impressed with your thinking out of the box by correlating growing crops in fertile soil leads to a healthier population.