Biogas Concept Map

Untitleddocument

My system diagram depicts the important detail of everything that is happening because of the biogas generators. In my diagram, I explain the problem: the people are living in poverty or low income. The cheapest way for them to be able to make food, is by the women and children gathering up firewood by means of cutting trees down. This leads to smoke filled homes which causes infections and irritations to people, but also pollution to the environment. The biogas system solves all the problems and adds more compost which grows more crops which will feed more livestock and give people some jobs. My diagram is similar to Marten’s Diagram in the way that the social system and ecosystem are cause and effect to one another. As the social system grows, the ecosystem must produce more. The farms feed the population and the livestock. Biogras generators gives the population another means of cooking fuel which is better to population and the environment. Our diagrams are different in the way, that mine shows a problem and presents the solution and what happens, compared to Marten’s which is almost a never ending cycle. There are similarities and differences between the two because one is from my point of view and the other is from Marten’s. By comparing these two diagrams, we have learned that biogras generators are a good solution to help people make food instead of using firewood, and it has multiple benefits that will never change.

One thought on “Biogas Concept Map

1. Hello Landon!

I don’t think I commented on your posts before, so pleased to meet you. I’m Teresa – if you wanted to check out my post, you can do so here: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/01/27/biogas-system-…le-2-bernstein/

I find it very interesting how you chose to focus on the main cause of the problem – the root – if you will: the poverty. Your chosen perspective is different than mine, but has made me rethink my own diagram. I also like how you mentioned the pollution as a side effect of the smoke. Your argument is strong and the generators do seem to be a cleaner and more renewable source for cooking, so perhaps we will see drastic improvement in the years to come.