Biogas- Dustin Welch

Biogas_dww5310

The intent of this diagram is to show the social and environmental effects of the Biogas Generator in India. The Biogas generators have improved the quality of life of some of the poorest people in the country. The use of cow dung helps keep the country side clean, while also providing the necessary element of the Biogas generator. The methane produced from the dung/water slurry mixture is used as a clean energy source for cooking and heating. Before the generators, firewood would have been used. The smoke was detrimental to the people’s health, increased deforestation, and children missed out on educational opportunities because they were working. An added side effect of the slurry mixture is its use in composting. Women especially have been able raise revenue through the sale of the nutrient rich compost mixture. The impact that the booming population has had on the ecosystem is a driving force behind the Biogas Generators.

There are a few similarities and differences between my diagram and figure 1.5 in the Marten reading. They are similar in that they both showcase the cross-interaction between the social system and the ecosystem. The methane gas that is produced leads to less deforestation and increased health benefits by improving air quality. A major difference is that Marten’s diagram is much more detailed, highlighting some of the smaller catalysts within the system.

2 thoughts on “Biogas- Dustin Welch

1. Hi Dustin, my name is Dylan Hellings (Here is my post if you are interested: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/01/27/module-2-biogas-diagram-dylan-hellings/ ) I really like that you used different colors for the connecting lines to denote positive and negative benefits! It makes it much easier to follow, I had a hard time finding the best way to show my data. I noticed you didn’t have the slurry in your diagram but then saw that you touched on it in your post. Sounds like it might be a dirty job but clearly a huge benefit both environmentally and socially.

2. Hello, my name is David Youn. I am a Chemistry major that is going to graduate this semester. It was interesting how our figures looked very similar. I have also mentioned child labor was detrimental to child education. I think this is something that Marten has left out in his figure. It would have been nice if you had mentioned that in your writing itself, but I don’t think that is a too big of an issue.