Question 1. My life is worth the same as any other person’s life. I say that to balance the scales. What decisions we make throughout our life can shift those scales in either direction. If someone were to threaten my or my family’s life they would, by action, shift the scales and put me into a situation where I had to defend myself and/or my family. In that situation my and my family’s life would be more important. In the military we swore an oath to protect America and her citizens, an oath that could cost us up to and including our own lives. We freely swore that oat and were/are willing to lay down our lives if need be. In this setting my life is worth less than others in the fact that I am willing to sacrifice it in order to save others.
Question 2. If a person is good they will inherently either perform good acts or at the very least not commit heinous acts. If a person is good and cares about the environment they will either do something with the specific intent to help make a change for the better, or at the very least NOT do something like litter because they are aware of the negative consequences.
Question 3. I believe the outcome of decision is more important than the process by which the decision is made. When Japan bombed Pearl Harbor it was a terrible tragedy, but it was part of the process that lead the U.S. to going to war with them.

3 thoughts on “

1. Hi Brian,
    I thought that it was pretty cool how we chose the same questions. Not to mention how we had similar opinions on two out of the three. For the third question, I have a different point of view. I think that the process of how the decisions are made are more important. Overall, I liked how you used real life situations to back up your opinions on the questions if you get a chance check out my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/01/module-3-ethics-carmen-madrigal/

2. Hello Brian
    My name is Justin, and my ethical view after doing this activity have been truly tested. after reflecting on the questions provided, I have come to conclude that you need a healthy mixture of ecocentric and anthropocentric views. as well as a good judgement and critical thinking when i comes to justifying “good” acts. I agree with your ethical views for the most part. In particular, your response of the first question was eye-opening to me. I like how you balanced the scales at the beginning, which i see as fair. Next you state that peoples actions from there on can change that scale. this idea was very clear when you mentioned military service. Keep up the good work

to read more about my post visit:
    https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/?p=43128&preview=true

3. Hi Brian,

I like your response to question one. I also answered that question and said that for the most part I believe that my life is worth the same as anyone else’s life. I also said that there has to be some kind of shift in that because there are times when certain lives are more important than others, and vis versa. I found your answer to question 3 intriguing because I answered differently. I really liked the outlook you have on this question, and it is a hard question to answer in my point of view. You did a really good job and here is the link to my blog if you are interested: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/01/module-3-ethics-2/