Module #3

1Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)?

My opinion is that it is more important to perform good acts then to be a good person, this however points towards the assumption that good people don’t perform good acts. So for me it is important to separate these things conceptually with being a good person on an emotional level and performing good acts being of a physical state. In which case performing good acts is more important because I believe in making a difference. While it could be argued that being a good person emotionally can make a difference is a persons life who is having a bad day or needs support, performing good acts lends to not only making a difference on a larger scale but also making a difference of larger impact. Is it better to say good day with a smile to a homeless person on the street, or give him a few bucks for food or whatever he may need? Even though their is no real answer to this I feel that the world we live in today calls for more “doing” or more acts of substance.

3Does the process by which decisions are made matter more than the outcomes of these decisions (procedural justice vs. distributive justice)?

The process is definitely more important then the outcome because although getting to a final decision or idea can be significant, the journey of getting to it is where you broaden your knowledge not only of what your subject is but about yourself and what it means to you. Everyone likes focus on the outcome because they don’t want to look past whats on the service, but being part of the process you don’t just see the tip of the iceberg you see the giant substructure of what it took to get to that tip. In addition theirs the idea that its not about how many times you fall, its how many times you get back up, which truly speaks to what process is and how you can learn through your own successes and failures. In fact it even comes down to the idea of what came first the chicken or the egg, if their wasn’t any processes would their be any outcomes?

6Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs. altruism)?

This question is a tough one as in on one hand I feel no attachment to life such that I would feel mine is more than another yet I firmly believe in idea of making the most of the life you live and enjoying it as much as possible. So my answer is no my life is not worth more than others but there is still a presence of selfishness in how I go about living it. This means that if my personal enjoyment came at the cost of another persons life that I would most likely look the other way. However it would be hypocritical to say that this means I feel more important than others in that everyday people use things that effects others lives negatively even if they don’t mean too. For example, people text and  drive which leads to many deaths and injuries, but millions ignore this for their own personal satisfaction.

One thought on “Module #3

1. Hello, my name is Micaelie. I agree with what you say in #6 since it is a tough one to answer. I agree that my life is no better than anyone else’s but everyone needs to be a little selfish. I think a lot of people see selfish in a complete negative light when it can be positive sometimes. If you don’t care about yourself, then who will? You need to care about yourself to get further in your life which can later turn into bettering other people’s lives. [Some of] the greatest people in our history needed to. For example, Einstein had to take time to teach himself everything in order to further help society with his findings.
    Here is the link to my blog post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bft