Ethics Learning Assignment – Kayla Crestani

1 .Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)?

I believe it is more important to be a good person.  In my eyes being a good person means being the best self you can be.  This means putting others before yourself and keeping a positive attitude and kind heart.  Regardless of how kind a person can be, they are not entitled to be that way all the time.  It’s important to remember that everyone is human and everyone has a bad day from time to time.  We learn from our mistakes and bounce back after defeat.  Nobody is forcing you to be a good person and the way you act is dependent on you and only you.  Good people choose to act the way they do and do good things because they want to. Just the same, a not so great person can choose to do good things as well from time to time.  Being a less than good person is a choice, but those who choose to live this way only do good things with themselves in mind.  A bad person will do good things if it benefits them or gives them a false image as a hero or overall good person.  Truly good people will do kind things because they want to help and want to better others, not themselves. Take for example someone who donates tons of money to an organization.  This donating to a cause is perceived as a positive act of charity, but what if the good samaritan had stolen the money he or she donated?  My point is that people can perform good acts all the time, but in the end, they are still not truly good.  This is why i believe it is so much better to focus on being a better person than performing good acts for the wrong reasons.  When someone is doing good for all the right reasons, honestly, and selflessly, the image of them as a genuinely good person will follow.

2. Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs. altruism)?

In my personal opinion, I do not believe that my own life is worth more than the lives of others.  While I love the life I live and can be selfish at times, I do not believe that gives me the right of a more worthy living.  While it can be hard to grasp this sometimes, everyone’s life matters.  We as human beings are selfish by nature.  Everyone is trying to do the best for themselves and their families by working hard in their day to day lives. It is because of this that we sometimes lose sight of how our actions are affecting others.  Take for example fighting with a store clerk while buying groceries or clothes.  People often talk down on sales associates and clerks, blaming them when the item is not marked right, or not eligible for a discounted price.  You can observe this time and time again in any store.  People are selfish in thinking that their lives matter more than those of a store employee and talk down on them, and make them upset over something that is out of their control. In the end, everyone is just as important, entitled, and worthy as you are. 
3. Do the pleasure and pain of non-human animals matter as much as the pleasure and pain of humans (speciesism)?

I do not believe that the pleasure and pain of non-humans matter as much as the pleasure and pain of humans.  While I do not believe in animal abuse or cruelty, I do see a need in animals for the meat they supply.  As a hunter, I see nothing wrong with shooting a deer or other game for food.  I see most animals as food and lower than me.  While both animals and humans live on the earth, we must learn to coexist.  Just as animals do,  we hunt others who are lower on the food chain.  This is not to say that I support animal abuse or animal cruelty in any way, in fact I love my two dogs and treat them like part of the family.  I respect the animals around me and do not believe in torture or inhumane means of killing.  I simply see game animals as a way to survive.

2 thoughts on “Ethics Learning Assignment – Kayla Crestani

1. Kayla,
    Very interesting arguments, though I am on the other side of those arguments when it comes to Virtue vs Actions, I believe actions are more important as they benefit the lives of others and I am not a proponent of hunting.
    Your observations on how some people treat others are very perceptive.
    This module was very well-designed and I believe it has made all of us think about how we think of the rest of the world and our place in it.\.
    Mike Evangelista
    You can read my post at: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/03/geog-030-module-…-my-ethics-views/

2. Hi Kayla! I’m Katie, and we answered the same questions! We have the same responses for your first two answers. I believe being a good person is more important than performing good acts, and I believe that all lives should be treated equal. The only differences we had were about the third response, but I enjoyed reading your opinion. I think an important aspect of ethics is understanding both sides of the argument. Before learning about speciesism in a previous class, I saw animals as inferior to human beings. I’m not a vegetarian either, but I now think that an animal life is equivalent to a human life.
    Here is my post!
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/02/katie-cuerou-module-3/