Ethics_Shelby Epstein

Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)? In my opinion, virtue ethics: to be a good person and action ethics: to perform good acts are both very important characteristics an individual should have. Both virtue and action ethics are not totally separate and go hand in hand with each other. If someone were to be a good person, they most definitely would perform good acts. For example, my cousin is a very good person because she cares about bettering students within poor communities that do not get a lot of opportunities within the education atmosphere as others do. By giving back to these children, she performs action ethics. She takes action out of her own time to care for these children and give them the education that every child deserves. For example, she gives them new school supplies and a curriculum in which they can learn to better their futures. Since she takes these actions, she is performing good acts and is also being a good person/teacher. To me, these ethics are combined in value since a good person also performs good acts, and a person that performs good acts is considered a good person.

Do the ends justify the means (ends ethics vs. means ethics)? Personally, I believe that this question depends on what the means or consequences are and what ends (actions) are being used to achieve them. If the consequences are noble, and the actions that are also noble, than I believe “the ends do justify the means.” However, I do believe that too many people too often use this expression as an excuse to achieve their goals through any “ends” necessary, no matter how immortal, illegal, or horrid their “means” may be. For example, a lot of people believe that it does not matter how they get what they want, as long as they get it. If their goal is morally important enough, than any method of achieving it is acceptable to them. A real world example would be cheating on a test. If a student takes the “ends” of cheating on a test, their “means” are unacceptable and immoral, but it will help them get a better grade. Their “means” could also be horrifying if a teacher or another student caught them. In most cases however, I do believe that the “ends do not justify the means.”

Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs. altruism)? My life is equal worth than the lives of others. Growing up, I have always been taught to be altruistic, but there is a limit in how much altruism we should practice. My parents always said, “However much altruism I give to someone is usually how much I will receive back.” Personally, I find it hard to choose how much altruism I should give to a certain person because they never give it back to me. I am always willing to try and help others with anything, but I expect it back as well. However, I do also believe that in specific scenarios, it is okay to be selfish and less willing to help others. For example, if I were in competition against a friend for a job in my dreamed professional career, I would do everything I possibly could to make her look worse and myself look better. To me, others lives are equally as valuable as mine and everyone should be altruistic to others.

This entry was posted in M03 by sme5313. Bookmark the permalink.

About sme5313

Shelby Epstein is an inspired professional with a strong passion for building lasting relationships. Through 5 years of professional practice and involvement, Shelby grew many of her business expertise in communication, time management, and customer service. She aspires full-time employment in the field of Management Consulting where she is able to deliver engaging and measurable solutions to problems that occur. Patience is Shelby’s key attribute when working with others in a team. Great service overrides fast service. Shelby is able to take the time to truly figure out what the customer wants and gives them competent service. The more patient interactions Shelby has with others, the better she is able to understand their underlying problems and needs. Shelby has been a very active student within the Penn State Community. She is a member of the Kappa Delta sorority where she inspires women to gain confidence to achieve their dreams while taking philanthropic actions on campus and in the community. Shelby participates in sorority community service events that benefit the Prevent Child Abuse America organization and the Girls Scouts of the USA. Her passion and involvement with her sorority in THON, a student-run philanthropy event committed to enhancing the lives of children and families impacted by childhood cancer, assisted in raising a total of $90,000. Her mission is to inspire everyone around her to reach their full potential. Aside from Shelby’s professional career and involvement in school activities, Shelby enjoys traveling and meeting new people. After studying abroad for four months in Barcelona, Shelby aspires to continue visiting new places around the world!

3 thoughts on “Ethics_Shelby Epstein

1. Hi Shelby! I’m Katie and I loved your answer to the first question. I’m an education major myself and I enjoyed reading about your cousin and what she does for those children. I also agree that being a good person and performing good acts are connected; doing good things is part of being a good person. We also have the same answer for your third response, I also agree that my life is equal to the lives of others. You used very good examples in your responses!
    Here is my post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/02/katie-cuerou-module-3/

2. Hey Shelby! My name is Kayla. Here is the link to my post if you wanted to take a look
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/ethics-learning-assignment-kayla-crestani/

I enjoyed reading all of the answers to the questions you chose. I liked how you combined being a good person and doing good things. You had such a great example of how the two are intertwined! Your cousin sounds like such a great person and is obviously very passionate about her career and bettering the lives of her students. I also enjoyed your example of cheating on a test when talking about means and ends. Overall, you had some great examples and many views that I can agree with!