Module 3: Kelsey Somers

Question 1: Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts?

It is more important to perform good acts. I hold this view because I believe performing good acts benefits you as a person. Doing something good does not only affect you but also the ones around you. Performing a good act is as simple as holding the door for someone, donating a dollar to a charity or to a little girl who is raising money for her basketball team. Any person can look at themselves as a good person, but not have actually done anything to make them a good person. Sometimes they actually do bad things and they don’t want anyone to know. I know when I help someone it brings happiness to me and to them. Performing good acts for the right reason will make you a good person and will have many positive effects. Without good acts, there are no changes happening in the world. Doing good acts will always make a positive difference in your life and also others.

Question 3: Does the process by which decisions are made matter more than the outcomes of these decisions?

The process by which decisions are made matter more than the outcomes of these decisions. I hold this view because I would rather take time and process on the decisions I can make rather than jumping ahead to the outcome of the decisions made. Everything we do is a process. Considering the options you can make will allow you to have an insight on what might the outcome will be. I wouldn’t want to be held for a bad outcome because I didn’t take time to properly process all of the decisions. When my grandmother was in the hospital last October due to having a massive heart attack, three doctors came out and confronted my family saying they wanted to rush her in for emergency open heart surgery. Another doctor then came out and disagreed with open heart. The doctor waited Friday through Sunday to process the decisions he was going to make on what the right procedure he was going to perform. My family was grateful for his long decision process because my grandmother wouldn’t have survived the recovery of open heart surgery. The ideas of distributive and procedural justice go together and are both important concepts, but I believe that procedural justice is more beneficial.

Question 6: Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less?

My own life is the same as others, no more or no less. I hold this view because I wouldn’t want to be treated less than anyone else. It depends on how you look at it. If a person was in jail for murder, I would obviously want to be treated differently from them because of what they did. Just because someone may have more money than me doesn’t mean I should be treated differently. We are all humans even though we may have different lives. I want to be a teacher in the future and I would not even think about treating a student different than the others. The thought wouldn’t even cross my mind because of how I would make the students feel. Not all children live the same lives or are smart as some of the other classmates. There’s no reason they should be treated differently by teachers due to some of their slight differences. Your life is just as equally important as others. I tend to put other people’s needs before my own, but I don’t look at my life differently from theirs. I do it because I care about that person.

4 thoughts on “Module 3: Kelsey Somers

1. Hi Kelsey, my name is Jake Segall. Here is a link to my post!

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/m3-your-ethics-views-jake-segall/

For your answer to question 1, I couldn’t agree with you any more! On a very basic level, people can be determined to be “good” people without doing anything. Then comes the question, how does one become a good person without performing good acts? It is difficult, in my mind, to separate these two things. Theoretically, it is easy, but in real life, good is more or less determined by societies comparison of one’s actions to the ideals of good.

In regards to your answer for question 3, I do agree with you, but with a caveat. Though I agree that taking time to make a decision (means) can improve the outcome (ends), it is not guaranteed that it will be better. Some of the world’s greatest tragedies were carefully thought out plans (i.e. bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Hitler’s “Final Solution”). Though rash decision-making in these instances could have made the outcomes better or worse (we’ll never know the answer to this), I urge you to consider the fact that time does not ensure a better solution.

2. Hi Jacob, my name is Alex and I’m a student at the Worthington campus. I had a difference in the first question because of thought of this: Some people have to do good acts (such as community service) to get out of the other possible consequences. I believed it had more to do with a person’s thoughts and morals. Yours is also a good way of thinking! On your second question, processing is very important and crucial to a lot of things. Although, sometimes I think processing can go wrong. I read a previous post where the girl spoke about wrong processing in the legal system, which I thought was interesting. I like how you talked about how everything we do involves a process though, that is very true. In the final question, I like that you value yourself equally to others, that’s a very good thought process to have. Good job!
    If you’d like to check out my post here’s the link! https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bgD