Module III: Personal Ethics Views

1. Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts (virtue ethics vs. action ethics)?

In an environmental sense I believe it is more important to be performing good acts. Although virtue ethics are very important, positive changes will not occur unless they are put into action. Being a good person is very beneficial to society, acting on a cause has much more if an impact. I have always believed the famous phrase “actions speak a lot louder than words”.  For example, caring about environmental degradation is extremely important but putting those thoughts into action, and physically helping the environment is much more beneficial to the ecosystem. It is also important to consider that most good acts are performed by good people. Adversely, it is possible for a bad person to commit a good act. For example, good people who care about the environment will not pollute but a criminal sentenced to community service is performing a good act by helping clean up the pollution. If a bad person does not perform bad actions, he has no impact on the environment but if a good person performs bad actions, the environment could be at a disadvantage.  Conclusively, action ethics have a higher relevance and importance on the environment and society as a whole.

4 & 5. Do ecosystems matter for their own sake, or do they only matter to the extent that they impact humans (ecocentric ethics vs. anthropocentric ethics)?

I believe ecosystems matter for their own sake. Although human benefit and welfare is important, the ecosystem shapes how humans are able to live their lives. If everyone had an anthropocentric view, our ecosystem would deteriorate and life simply could not exist. Unlike anthropocentric ethics and speciesism, I believe every living being is equal in importance. All species have an important role in our environment. Without biodiversity, there would not be natural sustainability for all forms of life. Biodiversity is critical for all species survival, as well as the survival of humanity. As stated in the basic ethics concepts lesson, humans do not have more of an advantage to other species, we are not the only ones that use reason or feel emotions. Other species have proven to show empathy and altruism. Every living being has a vital role on this planet and when working together, life is sustainable. Without species diversity, all life would go extinct. I believe we should all think prudently and consider ecocentric ethics, in order to sustain life

6. Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less (selfishness vs. altruism)?

Although I appreciate my life beyond measure, I believe my life is worth the same as others. As mentioned in my paragraph about speciesism, I consider all life as equally important. Every living being has a significant role to society and the environment. I believe it is important to treat yourself how you treat others. One can not take care of others, if they can not take care of themself. I believe all living beings have an equivalent balance in this world. It is important to consider that everything is good in moderation but too much of  a good thing can ultimately end in a bad thing. Practicing too much altruism could negatively impact oneself but not practicing enough could have a bad effect on others or the environment. For example, if someone only has $10 to their name for the rest of the week and feels obligated to give the rest of their money to a homeless person, the giving person could ultimately become malnourished from not being able to afford food all week. Similarly, practicing too much selfishness could have contradictory effects on others but not practicing enough could result in unfavorable effects on the person acting. For example, if a person devotes 24 hours a day to helping the impoverished, they would not have time for personal relationships, family or enjoying life. This could cause the person to become depressed and unhappy. They would be sacrificing their well-being to help others. Nonetheless, I believe there should be a proportionate balance between selfishness and altruism. No life is worth more or less than the next.

3 thoughts on “Module III: Personal Ethics Views

1. Hi Tawnya,
    Thank you for your feedback on my entry, and great use of the quote, “actions speak louder than words.”
    I had considered responding to that final question but could only come up with, the value of each life is that seen by other people, which doesn’t pick a side at all. I like your response to there difficult ethical questions and look forward to reading your work in the future.
    Here’s the link to my post:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/ranee-perricone-module-3-ethics/

2. Tawnya, we have differing views on question 1. I think you bring up some valid points. Actions definitely do have more of an impact, but ultimately I believe being a good person comes first. However, we both brought up the idea that a bad person can perform good acts. Ethical views are so intertwined it almost seems impossible to argue one way or the other! I did not answer question 6, but I enjoyed reading your views. I agree that all life is equal, but it is important to find that balance between selfishness and altruism. You can see the questions I answered here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/03/ethics-questions-kyle-hoke/

• Hi Kyle,
      Thanks for your feedback. The virtue ethics vs. action ethics question was a tough one. I pondered it for awhile and we had different opinions but I can completely understand your reasoning. You are also very correct about the ethical views being intertwined. This assignment required a lot of contemplation and critical thinking. I read your blog and really enjoyed your speciesism article. I have opposing views and believe that all life is equal. However, you made a very valid point about our need for livestock and the agricultural industry. Although it’s unfortunate, we have to sacrifice life in order to sustain life. I initially didn’t consider that and want to thank you for bringing it to my attention. Thanks for checking out my post!