Three Questions: Jake Hughes

The first question I chose to answer is the question on virtue vs. ethics. Is it more important to be a good person or to perform good acts? To start this question off I feel like I have to first address that these two go hand-in-hand. If you are a good person and make bad decisions, you are bringing yourself further away from being that good person. If you are a bad person and you make good decisions, you will start to redeem yourself and slowly become a good person. I could never be one to judge whether you are a good person or a bad person, but this would be my logic behind it. With this being said, my answer would have to be ethics. By actually performing the actions themselves, they have a way of diminishing your personal character or lifting it. However, if someone is a really good person and works for several charities, it is not always safe to assume that their actions are good outside of their work. These can be things to consider when distinguishing between virtue and ethics.

The next question I chose to answer is the question on ecocentric ethics vs. anthropocentric ethics. Do ecosystems matter for their own sake, or do they only matter to the extent that they impact humans? Without healthy ecosystems, many plants and animals wouldn’t have the same chance to live and be free like we do. However, ecosystems also benefit us humans and our survival. My answer would fall somewhere in-between for this question. I find both extremely important. For the sake of having an actual answer though, I would have to say that ecocentric ethics is more important. Preserving our environments and ecosystems for future generations to appreciate has long been an opinion of mine. If humans believe they should be able to live and matter for their own sake, I believe animals and ecosystems should be able to as well. Almost every scenario would result in me being for the ecocentric ethics.

The last question I am choosing to answer is the question on selfishness vs. altruism. Is my own life worth more than the lives of others, the same, or less? I would never in a million years consider my life to be of more worth than someone else’s. I believe that everyone’s life and worth is absolutely equivalent. Whether you are the president of the United States or a schoolteacher, you have the same amount of human worth. Each individual places a role in our world. Some people’s roles are a little more important than others, but that doesn’t take from their worth. Just because someone is a janitor at a school does not mean that their worth is any greater or less than someone working for the government. There wouldn’t be a scenario where my answer would change. Even serial killers’ worth would be the same as mine. That doesn’t mean that our values or status is anywhere near each other’s, but I wouldn’t say that someone’s actions would devalue them as a person.

2 thoughts on “Three Questions: Jake Hughes

1. Hi Michael, my name is Amir and I’m here at Penn State studying Civil Engineering, and as an aspiring builder of our future world, I strongly believe in sustainable approaches to our goals as society. I think we viewed the first question with different perspectives, I don’t think good actions can always be acclimated to a good person. Many do good things for personal gains, such as a student doing community service because their greek organization requires them to and not because they want to. Now compare this person to someone who’s unable to volunteer due to the frequency of their work to provide for their family, which person do you consider to be more on the “good” category?