A Journey Through My Water Footprint

At my home in Asbury, NJ, I have submersible deep water well. When you turn the faucet on in the house, there is a pressure switch that “calls for water” which activates the pump down in the well. It pulls water out from the natural water reservoir, the aquifer. The water enters the holding tank in my basement. In this holding tank, know as the bladder water pressure tank, there is a pocket full of air that maintains the water pressure allowing the water to flow out from the faucets. When the tank is signaled that there is low water pressure, it then “calls for water” again from the pump down in the 400-foot well. After the water is flushed or goes down the drain it enters the septic system in the back yard. The water leaves the house through pipes and enters a 500-gallon cement basin. In this basin, the solids sink to the bottom and the liquids are allowed to pass through a set of pipes into a leech field. These pipes, known as laterals, have holes in them that allow the liquids to drain into the sand and filter out back into the earth where the cycle can being again.

Type of Water Use Amount of Water Used
Shower 75 gallons
Flushing the Toilet 3 gallons
Brushing Teeth 1 gallon
Dishwasher 16 gallons
Washing by hand 8 gallons
Water to make Coffee 8 ounces
Drinking water 64 ounces
Cooking 24 ounces
TOTAL 103 gallons and 96 ounces

Going a day with two gallons of water truly limited my activities. Looking at my typical day of water use, I realized that doing the dishes and taking a shower was not possible. I decided to only drink 64 ounces that day. I couldn’t go without brushing my teeth but made sure to turn the water off while I brushed. To conserve that water that gets flushed, I suggested to my roommates to only flush the toilet 2 times a day. My roommates could not support this strategy. Overall, I believed this experiment to be unsuccessful. I eventually showered and flushed the toilet, which pushed me well above 2 galloons. I realized just how privileged I am through this experiment. Before this activity, I didn’t even realize how much I use and waste water throughout the day. Knowing that I typically use over 100-gallons of water a day makes 2 gallons a day seem miniscule. Geography matters to water use because to maintain and support the human population, we need to keep the supply of water clean and available. Depending on the country, water use is a luxury and to others water is a privilege. Thinking about how I get water into my home, its important to understand that the earth and the water cycle are connected.

2 thoughts on “A Journey Through My Water Footprint

1. Hi Alyssa! My name is Lexie, heres my post:

http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/09/lexie-gersbacher-syracuse-water-supply/

Your water source chart caught my eye because you had the category of “water used to make coffee”. I’m such a coffee addict and I can’t believe I totally forgot to include that into my daily water usage! I think it’s really interesting that you have a personal well. I like in a city so all of our water comes through pipes from a nearby lake. Other than the water for coffee usage, every other activity we have is similar in gallon usage. Two gallons seems almost nearly impossible to live on.

2. Hi Alyssa my name is Nick Gasparovich, and I also live in New Jersey. I think your outline of your water source was very good, and it covered all aspects of the water system. I found it interesting that you have a personal well, this is completely different from the town water I have access to. We had similar strategies when it came to conserving water, keeping the tap off definitely helps save water. My roommate had the same response when he saw me trying to use almost no water. Check out my post at– http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/07/nick-gasparovich-module-4/