Water Tracking & Usage

1a. In my hometown of Bellwood, PA, the water supply chain begins with the Bellwood and Tipton (a neighboring community) reservoirs. In fact, the Bellwood reservoir is only about a five-minute drive from my house. The Bellwood Borough Authority maintains a total of 10.3 miles of sewer line and 25.1 miles of waterlines. The water is purchased in bulk from the Altoona City Water Authority, where it is treated. Thus, the water from the tap is coming straight from the nearby reservoir. It then travels through the drain and either treated again or recycled. The Bellwood Borough Authority recognizes the importance of recycling water and has addressed the issue sewer systems that collect water from homes, treat the waste, and dispose of through methods approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Through this agency, standards and procedures are created to ensure a safe and environmentally-friendly water supply to consumers.

Water usage: 133.24 gallons/day (from USGS):

a. Shower: 2 gallons/minute x 15 minutes = 30 gallons

b. Teeth brushing: <1 gallon

c. Hands/face washing: 1 gallon

d. Leg shaving: 1 gallon

e. Clothes washer: 25 gallons/load (newer model)

f. Toilet flush: 3 gallons/flush x 6 flushes = 18 gallons

g. Glasses of water = 8 oz. per glass x 4 glasses = 32 oz.

Imagining that I was living an area with water as a restricted resource, living on two gallons of water, compared to 133 gallons would be a challenge. In this experiment I would focus on drinking and cooking, for I would need both to survive. One gallon would be sufficient for cooking, as I would limit foods that would require water. For example, I could try to cook fish over the fire instead of boiling everything, thus an individual action. Since showering would most likely not be an option, I would spare some water to wash over myself, but I would make sure it was only about 4 ounces or so. I feel that this experiment could very well fail, but could be manageable with some practice in such an environment. Compared to my previous usage, this way of utilizing water is much more environmentally-friendly and efficient. After completing this activity, I now realize that I do not need to take fifteen-minute showers, but cutting back on other water usage is more difficult, like flushing the toilet. I mentioned that I would only use four ounces of water for bathing, compared to 30 gallons. Geography plays a vital role in water usage, for it not only determines how much we can and will use, but how it is disposed of and recycled.  

2 thoughts on “Water Tracking & Usage

1. Good morning Emily, I am Tenaya. I live in a higher populated area than where you live and I found it interesting that you only have 2 reservoirs in comparison to the 6 I have in my area. I also failed at the experiment. I agree, if we cut out showers it could be easier to only use 2 gallons. I like how you rationed 4oz of water for cleaning self off, I would think that the daily ration should be reused for “bathing” so their is more to drink or cook with.
    Here is my post if you would like to read it;
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/06/fortworthflush_tenayamulvey/

2. Hi, Emily. I’m Tyler. It was interesting reading about your town’s reservoir. Houses in my town use wells. It’s nice not having to pay for water, but it isn’t always as clean as reservoir water. I live on campus and think you brought up a good point about cooking certain things. I’d use far more than two gallons preparing a single meal. Here’s my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/07/module-four-water-tracking-usage-tyler-pegarella/