Module 4

My hometown, Wyckoff NJ, receives its water from the Ridgewood Water Department. Ridgewood water consists of 56 wells, one purchased groundwater source, and one purchased surface water source. The aquifer that is used by this company is the Brunswick aquifer. After being taken from one of these wells, water it is then sent to the homes that the Ridgewood water department services. After the water enters and goes through the house, it goes down the drains and into the sewer system. The sewer system, made up of pipes, takes the water that has gone down the drain and connects it to the pipes in the street. Here the water from my house meets with the water from my neighbors and travels to even bigger pipes. Eventually the wastewater goes to the Wastewater Treatment Plant in Ridgewood.

2/6

ACTIVITY WATER USED
Shower 50 Gallons
Teeth Brushing 2 Gallons
Shaving my face 3 Gallon
Washing clothes 35 Gallons
Toilet Flush 10 Gallons
Drinking Water 1 Gallon
Washing my hands/face 5 gallons

TOTAL: 106 Gallons

2/7

On February 7th, I tried to live on only 2 gallons a day. This experiment proved to be much harder then I thought it was going to be. I still showered and did many of the normal things I do with water, but just reduced the amount of water I used during those activities. I needed water to drink, so that was at the top of my priority list. I did not do laundry on this day in order to save water and I reduced my shower time by almost half. However, I was unable to keep my water usage under 2 gallons. I showered and flushed the toilet a few times which put me over 2 gallons. However, but trying this activity, and listing out how much water I use on an average day, I realized that there are many things I can do everyday do reduce my water usage. I may not be able to get to less than 2 gallons, but I can definitely reduce it a lot. Geography plays a major rule in water use because some people do not have access to water based on the geography around them. The people who do not have access to water will use less because they are worried that their limited supply might run out.

One thought on “Module 4

1. Hi Christopher, I’m Ian and your blog post stood out to me because you had used over 100 gallons of water in one day. It is not uncommon for many people living in the US to use that much water simply because water seems to be a commodity. I also noticed water in your hometown is predominantly from wells which to me is unique. I am familiar with the existence of wells but only have heard of houses here and there running off of them but never on a large scale like it sounds in your town. Please feel free to give my blog post a read at: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bmL