Module 4- Caren Levin

1-A

I am from Potomac, Maryland, which is apart of Montgomery County. The water supply source for my hometown is the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC). Our water supply comes mainly from the Potomac River at an intake stream near the Great Falls and also reservoirs on the Patuxent River, the Tripdelphia and T. Howard Duckett. These reservoirs together can hold 10.2 billion gallons! The water from all these sources travels to either the Potomac Water Filtration Plant or the Patuxent Water Filtration Plant, which can treat up to 285 and 70 MGD (millions of gallons per day). These water sources bring the untreated water to a series of pressurized pump stations, where some chemicals get added such as carbon, acid, permanganate and coagulant. Then, the chemicals and water get mixed all together. Once the water reaches the sedimentation basin, the sediments and dirt get sorted and filtered out of the water. Afterwards, the water is pumped into water storage while disinfectant chemicals are added, such as chlorine, fluorine, etc. From the water storage, the clean and purified water gets distributed to our homes and fire hydrants where it can be used for our own purposes.

1-B

Water Usage (in gallons): February 7, 2016

Shower (10 minutes)

5 gallons/minute (older shower model) = 50 gallons

Wash Face/Hands (7 times)

1 gallon/minute = 7 gallons

Brush Teeth (2 times)

< 2 gallons (older bath faucet model)

Bathroom (4 times)

4 gallons/flush = 16 gallons

Washing Dishes (8 minutes)

2 gallons/minute = 16 gallons

Drinking (tap water)

1 gallon

Total

=     92 gallons per day

1-C

Restricting my water usage to 2 gallons was challenging. According to 1-B, I used 92 gallons/day. I limited my shower to 5 minutes, which was still 25 gallons! Next, I decided to follow the phrase “if it’s yellow, let it mellow” to refrain from flushing. I still brushed my teeth 2 times, however, I turned the faucet off to conserve water. Lastly, I used reusable bottles and soaked my dishes when cleaning instead of leaving the faucet on. I failed using under 2 gallons of water because I showered and washed my hands and face to stay clean. Having the luxury of clean water is definitely taken for granted, but this experiment made me aware of how much water I waste. Compared to part 1-B, I used less water but not under 2 gallons. I learned ways to limit water usage like turning the faucet off or not flushing the toilet. Limiting personal water usage is an individual action; it makes a huge difference because all actions impact the environment. Through taking responsibility of our actions and maintaining sustainability, we can together create a collective action and conserve water. Using collective action, we will find a way to conserve water.

2 thoughts on “Module 4- Caren Levin

1. Hi Caren. Your water supply chain seems to be much, much larger than mine. It is interesting to see how a company manages such a large area and customer base. I also had a very difficult time completing the 2 gallon challenge. Rather than cut back on shower time, I completely took showering out of my day. I felt gross all day, but it was nice to not see an extra 25 gallons of water on my report. Despite this, I also felt the need to wash my hands and face frequently, which didn’t help with my water consumption. If you would like to check my blog post out, you can find it here: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/09/james-sharer-water-consumption/

2. Hi Caren!
    Like you, I was not able to use only two gallons of water per day. It was really challenging. I also took a five minute shower and that alone was 25 gallons, like you said. I did use much less water than I did in part 1-b too though. Paying more attention to how much water I used made me more aware of how much I take the resource for granted.
    Feel free to check out my blog to see exactly how the experiment went for me.
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/08/module-4-sophia-greene/
    -Sophie Greene