Module 4

1a

In my hometown of Kingston, Pennsylvania, the water supply comes from the Pennsylvania American Water Company. The company supplies the water using underground pipelines going to all the houses throughout a vast area in Pennsylvania. They supply water to about 36 counties within Pennsylvania delivering about 193 million gallons of water per day. Some of the households in the area get their water from the Huntsville Reservoir, but this is more for the people located outside of the city in the suburbs. After the water leaves the households through the sewage system, it goes to the Wyoming Valley Sanitary Authority whether you get the water from the PA American Water Company or the Huntsville Reservoir. This is a facility located in Wilkes-Barre where the water is treated after being used and is sent back to the original companies to be reused.

1b

Average Daily Water Usage

Activity Number of Times Water Used (gal)  
Shower 1 50  
Brush Teeth 2 1  
Toilet Flush 4 12  
Shave 1 1  
Drinking 6 1/2  
Hand Washing 6 6  
Total Water Used   ~70.5 Gallons  

1c

After looking over my average daily water usage, I realized that it would be extremely difficult to live with only two gallons of water per day the way I am living. A change in my daily schedule is definitely needed. I would need to cut my shower out completely because the average shower uses about five gallons of water per minute. The biggest priority I would have would be to use it as drinking water. Once I have a sufficient amount of water to drink so that I am healthy, I would use the rest of the water I have for hygienic purposes like one round of washing my hands. Anything else that I could do would be exceeding the two gallon mark. Personally, I would fail the two gallon test because there is no way that I could go to the bathroom without flushing the toilet or washing my hands. I could not go without a shower every day and I am extremely thankful that in Pennsylvania, there is no “two gallon limit” on the water. If I was to live in Haiti for example, I would definitely be struggling.

One thought on “Module 4

1. Hi my name is Jiye Choi. i’m junior in energy engineering.
    I enjoyed reading your post. I was surprised that 36 counties consume 193 million of gallons per day it is a huge number. compare to my usage of water per day you spend less water than I am. it was hard to cut down water usage. for sure, shower is a big part of usage for everyone. two gallon is very little amount of water for us who live in USA. But I think we should be aware of some people don’t have enough water to even drink. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/09/learning-activity-4-jiye-choi/
    here is my post if you want to check out how I tried to cut down water footprint.