Activities 4

My hometown is in Hangzhou, China. Hang Zhou is a city with abundant water resources. One of the biggest rivers, which we called Qiantang River, is flowing through my city. This river is the main source of our daily water, and it is also the water source of Jinghang canal and West Lake. The origin of Qiantang River is the springs and rains from Yellow Mountain, flowing through 14 cities, and finally goes into East China Sea from Hangzhou bay. Tap water companies collect water from Qiantang River, and after purification, the water flow into everyone’s home by water pipes. Sewage goes into sewage treatment plants and at the end drains off into Qiantang River. However, because we only have this single water source, once the river is polluted, our tap water support will become absent, and we will suffer huge losses as well.

Activities Usage
Teeth Brushing 1 Gallon
Shower 30 Gallons
2 toilet flushes 6 Gallons
Dishwashing 8 Gallons
Water Drank 8 Gallons
Total: 53 gallons

First, I will give up shower and teeth brushing. Then I will use one gallons of water to cook food and wash dishes, and I will drink the left gallon of water. Finally I will use swage to flush toilet. This is my strategy for living there one day. I think the experiment will be success, because when water is scare like this, we must sacrifice something, and the only goal is to keep myself alive. I have no sense about the shortage of water, so it is so hard for me to image living in a place where only have two gallons water can be used. Comparing to my table, I feel like I waste a lot of water everyday. I think geography is the most important factor of source of water. People live in areas with water scarce will treasure water, but people livein areas with water abundant have no sense about water usage. That is why my country have “south-to-north water diversion” project so that people in north of China with shortage of water could get more water source from south of China.

2 thoughts on “Activities 4

1. Hi, my name is Katie and I’m a sophomore here at Penn State. I really like reading your post and hearing about the water system from another country which sounds about the same as our here in the United States. My family has a well, but my middle school took a field trip to our local water plant and sewage plant so I was able to learn how that type of water system works. I also thought it was interesting it was that you would be willing to give up teeth brushing, because I know I would struggle with that. Here is a link to my post if you are interested: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/module-4-water-usage-4/

2. Hello! My name is Joelle and I’m from a town called Downingtown located in Pennsylvania. I too come from a town that is abundant with water resources. Although your town is abundant with water, you use half of the water that I did in a single day. It seems as though you took shorter showers and did less activities than I did when it came to using water. It impresses me how that is possible to do.
    Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/water-tracking-module-4/