Gunderson Mod 4

1A.

Water Supply in Colorado Springs

Colorado Springs’ water supply starts out mostly as snow pack but also consists of rain and mountain springs. There are also several wells tapped into major aquifers around the state. The majority of the water supplied to the city is snow pack though. Once the snow starts to melt it ends up in reservoirs. The city’s water begins its long journey from these reservoirs on the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains. It’s transported via pipelines, pumping stations and several other reservoirs before it enters into the city’s water treatment facility and then into the water system that feeds residences. From the tap the water drains into the sewer system where it is transported to the city’s wastewater treatment facilities. After the wastewater is treated it flows into Fountain Creek, a tributary to the Arkansas River. The Arkansas River is a major tributary to the Mississippi River which will eventually flow into the Gulf of Mexico.

1B.

20160209- Water Usage for the day.

1000: Washed hands and Flushed toilet @3gpf≈ 3.5gal

1010: 16oz used for cooking breakfast and 16oz glass of water with breakfast≈32oz

1130: Filled water bottle≈48oz

1230: Showered for about 10:00 @2gpm≈20gal

1240: Brushed teeth≈4oz

1330: Made coffee ≈18oz

1530: Washed hands and Flushed urinal @.5gpf≈1gal

1630: Washed hands and Flushed urinal @.5gpf≈1gal

1800: Meal that required ≈ 16oz

2030: Washed hands and Flushed urinal @.5gpf≈1gal

0030: Washed hands and Flushed toilet @3gpf≈ 3.5gal

0035: Filled water bottle≈ 48oz

Total: ≈31.25 gallons

1C.

The single largest are of usage for me (and I suspect many others as well) is the shower. Without my shower, I only used 11.25 gallons that day. If I would’ve utilized nature and not toilettes I would’ve only consumed 3.25 gallons of water through drinking, cooking and washing my hands. I could’ve forgone washing my hands and saved another 2.5 gallons which would’ve put me way under the theoretical 2 gallon limit. I’m pretty conscious about my daily water usage and do my best to conserve as much as possible, my priorities would always be drinking and cooking if having to deal with sever water shortages. I think my experiment would be a success. If there wasn’t a requirement to interact in a socially professional environment where hygiene is important, I think I would be just fine, although I’d be at a much higher risk for disease and infections. Geography is very important when it comes to water use. In Colorado Springs, without modern technology, there would be no way to support the current population BECAUSE of the geography! Some of the alpine reservoirs are on the opposite side of the continental divide. Geography is the major component in water availability in the world.

3 thoughts on “Gunderson Mod 4

1. Hi! My name is Sara (here is a link to my blog: here is my blog: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/10/thoughts-on-water-sara-getson/). I really liked how you listed absolutely everything you did during that one day which involved water usage. It is actually rather neat that most of the water in your town comes from the snow and is then stored for later use. I was terribly impressed that you were actually able to cut your water consumption down to around 31 gallons, nice job!

2. Hi my name is Ryan Daley. After reading your entry I think it is really impressive that you only consumed 31 gallons of water in your normal day. I consumed 82 gallons and I thought I was one of the lowest in the class. I agree with you when you said you think you wouldn’t have trouble with the two gallons. I actually tested myself and was successful, but I did sacrifice hygiene which doesn’t fly in the business world.

• It’s because I didn’t do any laundry and the choices of food to cook happened to be less water intensive. That’s pretty awesome that you actually went out and conducted the experiment, my hats off to you.