Sustainable Development

http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/Vogel.htm

For this case study I decided to focus on alternative energy sources, specifically wind power in Denmark and why its been successful. The idea started in the 1980s and early 90s when they began to put emphasis on advancing their economy environmentally and quickly became the pioneer and world leader in wind turbine energy. The plan was basically to flood the wind energy field combining manufacturers, suppliers, research and educational institutions to create and advance with the best products. This can be seen as a success in how they produce 60 percent of the worlds wind turbines 2/3 which are exported. This connects directly to this module in that it uses the idea of sustainable development, using a wind turbine which can be used over and over forever with only improved efficiency apposed to using up fossil fuels for energy. Also, Wind turbines are super clean, creating lots of energy with little to no emissions or harmful waste product.

http://sesinnovation.com

For my second case study I decided to focus on a company called SES or Sustainable Energy Solutions  innovation who works to solve sustainability problems in the energy industry.One of these problems that they highlighted is the rising level of CO2 and other pollutants due to the use of fossil fuels. Their method for doing this, a new device called the Cryogenic Carbon Capture (CCC) which is a new technology that is the most cost effective and efficient process for reducing C)2 emissions in plants. To do this, it they freeze the C02 out of the exhaust from the plant and then serpsrating the solid from the gas prior to the gas going in to the atmosphere,  reducing carbon and other emissions by 96 to 98 percent. This connects to this module since it tackles one of the main problems brought up with factories being placed near low income homes and neighborhoods. Even though the area still my be considered poor, a lot of the negative effects of their surrounding area can be negating, improving air quality for the people living there.

These two case studies significantly effect the area I live in since it is only 25 minutes from camden which was highlighted in this module. The first case study more directly connects to my town, East brunswick, New Jersey where a lot of families as well as my local government emphasize the use of clean energy. While the movement in my town is more towards the use of solar panels for electricity it still falls under the idea of sustainable energy and we can learn and try and implement new ideas to further our impact on the environment. The use of wind turbines can especially be influential in my suburban town where there are lots of fields placed within an urban setting that aren’t being used and are perfect spots for energy plants. The second paragraph is more a an area connection in that my parents work in the city and everyday drive to work past tons of factories spewing pollution in the air, so bad you need to hold your nose. With new technologies like the Cryogenic Carbon Capture we can start to fix the over air quality of Northern New Jersey.

2 thoughts on “Sustainable Development

1. Hi Nicholas! I enjoyed your blog because it introduced a new interesting fact; Denmark creates 60% of the wind power! Focusing on energy was very capturing because your three paragraphs briefly educated me on how solar winds and technology works. These topics directly relate to your life which was also cool. They also relate to me because my town in New York is very suburban and we consume large amounts of electrical energy and turbines. Also a very important point you mentioned was that society needs clean energy to live a sustainable life. Great job! A link to my blog is here. http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/23/samantha-daversa…ent-case-studies/

2. Hi Nicholas, my name is Landon and I’m a junior majoring in accounting. Wind energy is huge, and I didn’t know Denmark produced 60% of the wind power. CO2 levels rising is not a good thing and the CCC method is very interesting how all that works to help reduce carbon. Having renew energy is great everywhere you can have it and technology is allowing us to make new devices to help solve our problems. Check my blog out about deforestation. http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/23/deforestation-good-or-bad/