The Ups and Downs of Development

One case study that really interests me from the given websites comes from the small island of Sri Lanka. The Indian Ocean Nation is planning to capture all the heavy rainfall in the upcoming weeks, and use it during irrigation “dry periods” which seem to be happening more and more often on the island. The organization also plans to use the water for electricity, in a system similar to that of a dam. The goal is to adapt to the climate change that has already occurred, and prepare for even more in the future. This relates to our class because this organization is developing in a way, which will benefit the human society, while also helping the ecosystem to have live plants all year round. This is a very first sign of the effects of global climate change. The article can be found at:

http://www.irinnews.org/news/2015/12/07.

Another case study I found to be intriguing takes place in Uganda. The country has been trying to improve for a while now, but it finally seemed like things were working out. However, recently a project that would have helped pave roads all throughout the country has been cancelled due to sexual assault claims. The people of the villages in which the construction is happening have filed multiple reports of sexual abuse and mistreatment by the employees. This relates to the class by being an example of a developmental downside. The people of this country would have been much happier if the road development never happened, and they aren’t getting much benefit from it anytime soon. Development can lead to very positive things, but also some very negative things. This article can be found at:

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2016/jan/12/world-bank-cancels-uganda-road-sexual-assault-claims.

These cases are somewhat related to an issue with development from my hometown, in Bucks County, PA. We had a new restaurant planned to open, which everyone was very excited for, as there weren’t many other options at the time this took place. Once the construction started however, roads were closed for weeks and people began to become very frustrated with the whole process. The way this can relate to both cases is because it was meant to improve the lives of everyone in the area (such as in the first case) but it actually became a huge negative for everyone that lived in the area (not nearly as severe as in the second case, but the same concept.) This just shows how in every development, there are downsides that need to be taken into consideration, but sometimes these negatives can leave long-lasting impacts.

One thought on “The Ups and Downs of Development

1. Hi! My name is Emily and I found your two case studies to be very interesting! For my blog post I focused on sustainable fishing and food prices. It was interesting to learn that Sri Lanka was planning to trap rain water and utilize it during dry periods. That correlates well with sustainable development. I also liked how you linked the second case study to your hometown – something that was supposed to be an improvement became a negative aspect. I feel that this is all too common in today’s society.