Karolina Powell Lesson 5

GDP and Energy and Development

1. Nigerian delta in Africa – University of Michigan Case Study – http://www.umich.edu/~snre492/cases_03-04/Ogoni/Ogoni_case_study.htm

The goal of this development was to provide revenue and jobs for the Nigerian delta.  It appeared to be a win-win, the drilling company, Shell, received their oil while it also provided for 80% of the government’s revenue.  The company was able to bring in revenue and helped the government tremendously.  However, in time, the negative effects appeared.  For example, 40% of Shell’s oil spills were in Nigeria which caused the river to be so polluted that fishing as a way of supplying food is no longer an option.  Development can be measured in numerous ways but one of those ways is GDP per capita and while the drilling made the government richer, it still caused the Ogoni people to live in poverty.  As the lesson discussed, increasing GDP is not always the best way to achieve sustainable development, because it does not always give an accurate representation of all sects of society.  In this case, the Ogoni tribe had their way of living negatively impacted by Shell although the country appeared to benefit.

1. Queensland, Australia – Rural Development Sociology from Wageningen University – http://www.rlarrdc.org.in/images/Mining%20Development%20adn%20SIA.pdf

The goal of this development was to provide economic stimulation to the area with coal mining activities.  The mining took place in the Australian inland and towns sprung up around them.  These towns experienced terrible quality of life.  They also impacted economies around the towns.  The mines paid more and thus most other businesses lost staff, rents sky rocketed, and crime rose.  Once again, we see an increase in income and GDP caused by the mining and energy industry and yet the development of the area could be questioned.  The mining also obviously increases gas emissions and creates health problems which are also downsides of this supposed development, as was discussed in the lesson.  As in the previous example, the economic boom caused by this mining was not beneficial to many of the people.

1. Williamsport, Pennsylvania

In the 2000s, fracking hit Williamsport.  There was a boom in jobs (Beauge 2010).  Companies spent large amounts of money in the area, as occurred in Australia but not in Nigeria.  Eventually in all situations the long term impact on the development could be seen as negative.  This is beginning to be seen in Williamsport as we have seen crimes occurring and now with the oil and gas industry declining, there are more foreclosures and tax sales occurring.  Therefore, the fossil fuels industry in all three cases brought in lots of money into the areas and yet also brought many negative factors.  In the case of my hometown and Australia, the residents were not left in as much despair as they were in Nigeria.  Also, in the case of Williamsport, the state government ensured that the drillers were unable to harm the area as much as in the other two examples (2013 Act 89).  However, in all three instances, the development brought on by increased GDP did not necessarily translate into development for the people.

Beauge, John. 2010. “Impact of Marcellus Shale natural gas drilling is widespread in Williamsport.” August 24. PennLive. http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/08/impact_of_marcellus_shale_dril.html

“2013 Act 89.” 2013. Pennsylvania General Assembly.  Retrieved from http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/li/uconsCheck.cfm?yr=2013&sessInd=0&act=89

2 thoughts on “Karolina Powell Lesson 5

1. Hello my name is Madison Halbom and in reading your post I was very much intriuged by the problems and aid the companies are providing to some of these countries. I was surprised to learn that the Shell oil company provides 80% of the revenue in the government, although I was apauled at the fact that the collection of oil cause a pollution in the river which took away a viable fishing area and food source. I was also interested to learn of the increase in the coal mining opperations did not aid the development of the country as to what would be expected but instead the crime rose and so did some difficulties. Check out my blog where I discuss the Ethiopian water drought and the effect it is having on the citizens http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/24/development-case…s-madison-halbom/

2. Hi Karolina, I’m Ian. This week I wrote my blog post on the development of incentives in California to increase the production of zero emission vehicles in order to reduce air pollution. I also, covered the topic of the Plastic Bag Environmental Levy put in place by the Irish Government to preserve the environment from plastic bag litter and waste. I was drawn to your post based on the fracking you mentioned that came to your hometown. Within my local county a refinery is in the process of being built by Marcellus Shale. I hope that the refinery does not leave the county and community with the negative impact that was left on Williamsport. With the Little League World Series, you would think that Williamsport would be relatively stable financially and not need to rely on fracking.