Module 5 – Development Case Studies

1.

The first case study I selected focused on the development associated with the use solar cookers in Kenya. Specifically, in the refugee camps of Kakuma and Dadaab. The source of this information is from an undergraduate student at Colby College in Main, Jill M. Maccaferri, who analyzes two related sources. The goal of this development is to reduce air pollution associated with burning wood to cook, free up to five hours a day that would have been spent looking for firewood and save up to 60% of earned income that is used for cooking. The secondary benefits are related to social betterment as a result of the extra time and money women will save. The development of solar cookers in refugee camps relates the closest to the health disparities of poor populations living locations in the U.S. While both populations live in different countries, the contrast between rich and poor is apparent.

http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/sol-ken.html

2.

The second case study I selected focuses on methods to combat air pollution in India. Specifically, the main challenges of reducing air pollution are discussed and possible solutions are outlined. The source of this information is the World Health Organization (WHO) Country Office for India. The goal of this development is to address the issues of household air pollution, which relies on making clean sources of energy available through liquefied petroleum cooking gas and solar power. In addition, outdoor air pollution is identified as an issue and the benefits of lessening automobile use and the relocation of heavily industries is discussed. The impacts of the aforementioned solutions to air pollution challenges relates closest to the constraints that natural resources place on the developmental process. Specifically, The use of fossil fuels and their impact on the environment and health.

http://www.searo.who.int/india/topics/air_pollution/air_pollution_media_note.pdf?ua=1

3.

The two cases I reviewed relate closest with my time spent living and working in Karachi, Pakistan. The most relevant case in terms of similarity of development in Pakistan would be the challenges of air pollution in India. This is due to the fact both areas have extremely similar issues in terms of air pollution and the use of fossil fuels with little regulation. The development of solar cookers relates closest with the impact of using wood for cooking fuel in Pakistan, as opposed to natural gas or other cleaner sources. I selected both areas to compare and contrast to where I lived for two reasons: their development level and political relationship with Western culture. The development level of each country, as well as situation discussed, are very similar to include common goals. However, I think that relationship that both Kenya and India have with Western nations allows for greater aid. If Pakistan had a similar relationship, I think that greater development could occur.

2 thoughts on “Module 5 – Development Case Studies

1. Hello! My name is Cassandra Oresko and I enjoyed reading about your post, what interested me is that you have empathy for these types of areas. The two case studies you researched were related to you because you have been in Pakistan and understand the problems of air pollution, such as the one you mentioned about India. I was unaware that the impacts of the aforementioned solutions to air pollution challenges relates closest to the constraints that natural resources, so I found this to be very interesting in your post. Additionally, my post also included the idea of sustainability, so resources you mentioned such as fossil fuels are important to reserve if we are smart about it. To be able to live and work in Pakistan is an awesome privilege, great post! Please check out my blog when you have the chance! http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/author/cao5241/

2. Hello, my name is Nick Gasparovich and I enjoyed reading your post. The first case study is very interesting as I did something similar to this in my engineering design class. This was a great example to highlight development. I feel your second case study on air quality may unfortunately apply to the United States if we continue to pollute without stricter sanctions or guidelines. National leaders need to learned from other countries problems to make sure they don’t become huge global problems. Living and working in Pakistan must have been an awesome experience, I was able to spend some time in Peru and I loved every minute of it.

Check out my post at http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/24/development-module-5/