Ethiopia’s, Haiti’s, & Doylestown’s Development..sme5313

CASE STUDY 1: http://allafrica.com/stories/201602101046.html

The source AllAfrica is an aggregator of news from all across the African Continent. From the article I picked, it talks about how Ethiopia is on the verge of running out of their food aid unless donors step in. In Ethiopia, the El Nino weather phenomenon has caused drought and flooding across Africa, potentially causing a great catastrophic escalation in severe acute malnutrition (SAM), especially amongst children. The goals of development are to try and bring in $245 million dollars in emergency food aid to help prevent malnutrition from occurring. In our reading, it talked about how agriculture is not equal amongst different parts in our country. This is true because Ethiopia does not have key factors for the regions growing conditions such as good temperature, precipitation, or soils. Their environment is very dry and destroys the growing areas. Another topic that the article relates to is end uses. Unfortunately, Ethiopia does not have good end uses. Because Ethiopia does not have successful agriculture, their end uses do not include proper nutrition, and obviously not tasty meals because they need a substantial amount of food.

http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/ourwork/our-projects-and-initiatives/crisis_in_haiti.html

CASE STUDY 2: From the United Nations Development Programme, it talks about Haiti’s recovery from its devastating earthquake to sustainable development. Since 2010, Haiti has successfully pulled through the humanitarian recovery phase and seen significant socio-economic gains. Their goals of development are focused on long-term support to help build a structurally sound, resilient, and sustainable Haiti by reducing their disaster risk and bettering their environmental protection. However, like our reading, Haiti faces environmental determinism. Their lack of forests and the degradation of ecosystems increase Haiti’s vulnerability to natural disasters. Our reading discusses how humanity impacted Haiti’s environment; however, the disastrous earthquake cleared a large majority of it. Haiti also connects to environmental possibilism by their recovery methods. For example, what seemed impossible in 2010 happened over the course of years. The country has steadily boosted the net enrollment rate in primary education and achieved equal participation of boys and girls. The prevalence of HIV/AIDS has stabilized, and nearly 70 percent of households now have access to an improved source of water.

Currently, I live in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, where I am from, there is a surplus amount of food supplied in multiple grocery stores, fast food restaurants, and basically all around. My town differs tremendously from Ethiopia’s catastrophe of lack of food. Malnourishment is a problem that Doylestown rarely faces, unless a family cannot afford the proper foods to eat and feed their children. Also, my environment has very good agriculture to grow crops. Many families grow their own foods in their gardens because of the good temperature, precipitation, as well as soils. However, similarly to Haiti, Doylestown is destroying the environment and forests. Although Doylestown did not face an earthquake like Haiti did, trees are still being knocked down so new houses and developments can be built. Doylestown differs from Haiti because it is not prone to natural disasters. Based on the case studies, Doylestown’s development surpasses both Ethiopia’s and Haiti’s.

This entry was posted in M05 by sme5313. Bookmark the permalink.

About sme5313

Shelby Epstein is an inspired professional with a strong passion for building lasting relationships. Through 5 years of professional practice and involvement, Shelby grew many of her business expertise in communication, time management, and customer service. She aspires full-time employment in the field of Management Consulting where she is able to deliver engaging and measurable solutions to problems that occur. Patience is Shelby’s key attribute when working with others in a team. Great service overrides fast service. Shelby is able to take the time to truly figure out what the customer wants and gives them competent service. The more patient interactions Shelby has with others, the better she is able to understand their underlying problems and needs. Shelby has been a very active student within the Penn State Community. She is a member of the Kappa Delta sorority where she inspires women to gain confidence to achieve their dreams while taking philanthropic actions on campus and in the community. Shelby participates in sorority community service events that benefit the Prevent Child Abuse America organization and the Girls Scouts of the USA. Her passion and involvement with her sorority in THON, a student-run philanthropy event committed to enhancing the lives of children and families impacted by childhood cancer, assisted in raising a total of $90,000. Her mission is to inspire everyone around her to reach their full potential. Aside from Shelby’s professional career and involvement in school activities, Shelby enjoys traveling and meeting new people. After studying abroad for four months in Barcelona, Shelby aspires to continue visiting new places around the world!

4 thoughts on “Ethiopia’s, Haiti’s, & Doylestown’s Development..sme5313

1. Hi Shelby, My name is Ben Bishop and i am from Doylestown as well. Since i am from Doylestown as well i can directly relate to your local relations to Haiti. I completely agree with everything you said about Doylestown and think it is all very valid. I too wrote about Haiti but ours differed slightly. While you focused more on the effects of mankind i focused more on how natural phenomenons affect Haiti. I would appreciate it if you looked at mine and told me what you thought! http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/26/the-philippines-and-haitis-trouble-with-el-nino/

2. Hey there! My name is Katy. Your post caught my eye since we both wrote about the effects of El Nino. In my post, I wrote about El Nino weather pattern effects on Peru and the effects of the hydropower dam build in the Theun River in central Laos. You can read my post here, https://wp.me/p3RCAy-byn. El Nino affects Peru and Ethiopia similarly. Both countries are poorly affected by the change in the weather. The people of both countries food supplies suffer as well as their overall health.

3. Hi! I’m from Doylestown as well, so I could directly relate to your local analysis. I completely agree with everything you stated, and agree that we are lucky to live in an area where we don’t have to worry about such problems. In my post, I talked about water crises that are happening globally, ranging from Namibia, Africa, to Flint, Michigan. Namibia is experiencing water shortages to the extent where they could run out of water by September. Flint, on the other hand, is experiencing a contaminated water crisis.
    Here is my post!
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/25/global-water-crises/

4. Hello, in my post I discussed a case study about a tribe in Ecuador trying to fight an energy company from destroying their land. I also discussed a case study from India where a company is supporting local biodiversity and planting 70,000 tree saplings in their local community. I liked how you connected your two case studies back to the situation in your hometown. Your are is similar to mine where forests are being developed for housing and businesses. I also like how your community is grows their own food, I also people that do the same but in a smaller way. You can take a look at my post at: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/25/module-5-development-case-studies-6/