Developing around the world

The first case I looked at was about Botswana’s second president, Sir Ketumie Masire, losing 89 zebras due to drought. The link to this webpage is http://allafrica.com/stories/201601140522.html. The article states that the pipeline that had been supplying the animal reservoir had burst a while go. Masire said that he knew this issue was looming and realized that the zebras would be the most affect animal at the reservoir. After trying to sell his zebra and failing at that, he encouraged other people of Botswana to go into wildlife ranching, but also warned the, about the challenges. He said he still plans on keeping some zebra’s, but reducing his number so the care would be easier. Masire’s ranch was near Sekoma in the Southern District of African. Masire’s goal is to reduce his number of zebra but also to have others open game ranches. The goal relates in the part of the module where it talks about environmental justice. Developmental impacts the environment by harming certain groups of people, or in this case zebras. Because the main pipeline had busted, the number of zebras dying is increasing.

The link to this webpage is http://personal.colby.edu/personal/t/thtieten/for-Phil.htm. The sources for this article are:

• Coxhead, I., A. Rola, K. Kim (2001).  “How Do National Markets and Price Policies Affect Land Use at the Forest Margin?  Evidence from the Philippines.”  Land Economics 77(2): 250-267.

[if !supportEmptyParas] [endif]

• Shively, G.E. (2001).  “Agricultural Change, Rural Labor Markets, and Forest Clearing:  An Illustrative Case from the Philippines.”  Land Economics 77(2): 268-284.

The second case study I looked was about deforestation in the Philippines. The main argument in this article is that there are people moving up to the upland, where the natural forest still exists. People are moving to these areas due to the rapid population increase. The Philippines promote the clearing of the forest because of the low access costs and high returns compared with other income alternative. Although they are taking down parts of the forest, there are positive sides to it. Goal of this article is to keep clearing forest for the benefit of the people. There are things, like clearing out forests, that we cannot do forever because of natural resources.

Where I live is Uniondale, PA. It is all country area. I can relate to my second case study the most. People are clearing the forests around us to build houses. Although it is great to see new faces, it is sad to see the forests disappearing. Thankfully, most of the people keep the trees they cut down it by making fire wood or using the wood in their houses. It is still sad to see the quiet country area I love becoming more and more populated. I think there should be a limit in each county to the amount of forest to be able to be cut down. Unlike the people in the Philippines, I do not see a positive to these areas becoming more populated. Examining place and time matters because you do not want to take down the natural resources around us. Also clearing out the forests means taking away homes from the animals that live in the wild.

3 thoughts on “Developing around the world

1. Hello! My name is Melanie and in the case studies I read about, they talked a lot about air pollution and the different efforts that are being taken to sop it around the world. The ones that I focused in on were in Mexico City and Singapore. (Link to post: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/02/26/module-5-develop…t-case-studies-9/). However, I was drawn to your post right away when I saw that it started off about zebras. I love animals and would do anything to protect them and make sure they are ok, so I really enjoyed your post! Great job!

2. Hey great post, check out my post : https://sites.psu.edu/geog30/?p=44538&preview=true

I can relate, I lived on a solid chunk of land and we sold some of it because we didn’t use it. The new owner ended up devoloping it and making a neighborhood. I would agree that it is nice to see new faces, but nature is pretty neat. I liked your last sentence, we should think about the homes we are taking away when we make new ones for us.