Tenaya Mulvey-Food Choices

1. One situation where my food choice was influenced by social norm happens every time I visit my sister or vice versa. My sister does not eat meat and loves vegetables and prefers only locally produced foods when she can find them. I do not have a problem eating red meat since I don’t eat it either but when she visits we try all the interesting dishes she eats with tofu and an abundance of vegetables. My food choice includes a small handful of vegetables so it is hard for me to agree with her pallet. I go along with it in hopes I could find another vegetable or fish that I may like. It also makes it a fun family event when cooking something completely out of the norm. I don’t always like her meals and end up cooking some chicken or a meal to my liking but the attempt is there so we can both try and stay healthy.
  2. A societal issue that arises with me trying and disliking the food is waste. The amount of food wasted on trying foods and then disliking them is not just a personal issue since there is so much food being wasted daily by restaurants, people, etc. Throwing out perfectly good food because we personally do not like is a societal issue since there are so many people starving just to have a single meal. Ethics can also be questioned here, are we being selfish and not thinking of the starving or of the environmental impacts waste has when we throw good food away? The societal issue of food waste is also an issue because that waste is filling up our landfills which is causing more havoc on our environment. Instead of agreeing to try stuff I don’t usually like I should incorporate foods I also enjoy when creating fun meals that way I can eliminate the amount of waste.

tqm5269 food choice diagram

2 thoughts on “Tenaya Mulvey-Food Choices

1. Hello Tenaya,
    I think that your experiences with food choices are very healthy. I wish I would be able to eat more vegetables and experiment with dishes. Although I would not be able to because I am a picky person when it comes to food. I find your post very interesting because you don’t eat meat, but manage to keep a great diet. I wish I could be less picky and test new dishes, but I personally think I wouldn’t be able.
    If you get a chance check out my blog: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/02/food-choice-social-norms/?preview_id=44940&preview_nonce=3e94424fbb&post_format=standard&preview=true

2. Hi Tenaya! My name is Maura McGonigal. Here is a link to my blog- http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/02/29/module-06-maura-mcgonigal/. I discussed eating less meat when I studied abroad due to Italian social norms and how this positively impacts the environment and world via various social issues. Your blog caught my eye because I too love trying new and different food! But as you mentioned I often find myself hesitant to be too adventurous in fear that I may not like the food and ultimately waste it.