Katherine Rigotti – Module 6 – Food Choice and Social Norms

1. After reading this module and thinking about possible scenarios for the learning activity, it is very clear that my food choice is influenced by social norms on an almost-daily basis. When I consider my own food intake and food choice, I would say that I eat more when those around me are eating more, or eat less when those around me are enjoying smaller portions. This social norm is also extended to the type of food as I have chosen specific meals based on what I perceived was the social norm. If I were dining at a fancier restaurant I would probably avoid any finger foods or anything messy, as I believe it to be looked down upon in that type of setting. The influence of social norms on food choices stems from my own innate, sub-conscious desire to fit in. Without even really considering it, my decisions at a restaurant are biased because I wish to associate with a particular group or gain approval. As mentioned in Module 6, socialization is a large part of enjoying food with others.
  1. I tend to make my food choices based on the desire to fit in or grain approval from a particular social group. This influence on food choice is also connected to a number of societal issues. A controversial societal issue, as related to food, is animal food products. People consume animal foods for any number of reasons, be it nutrition or just the taste. The societal issues associated with animal foods are connected to collective action problems when a large number of animals are hunted for food. Limiting the amount of animal food in our diet has proven to be nutritious, which could lead to both individual and environmental benefits if we cut back on our consumption. Ultimately, this societal issue brings up an ethical issue in terms of food policy. Sustainability is at risk when a large number of animals from a particular species are hunted and eventually become endangered. Given this connection, the social norm should be to cut back, not cut out entirely, on consumption of animal foods. By working together, sustainability can be achieved while still enjoying our favorite foods.

klr5498 - Module 6 - System Diagram

3 thoughts on “Katherine Rigotti – Module 6 – Food Choice and Social Norms

1. I am the opposite when it comes to eating in public. I am a foodie that likes to try new and interesting things. What i have seen is the change in my friends. They would tend to make their food choices off of what I chose. For example, at a sushi bar I always ask the chef to make me something not on the menu that is authentic. You would be surprised at the number of options that are not on the menu. This adventurous attitude makes my friends try new things as well, where as before they would get the same things time and time again.

2. Hi Katherine I’m Eunice Lee majoring in Early Childhood Education. I thought your blog entry was interesting because you addressed different social norms based on different locations. I thought this was appealing to me because I could also relate to it. I also had experience changing my food choices because I was in different environment. Moreover for your second paragraph, I agree with your point saying that humans consume large number of animals and that we should try to reduce the amount to create better world. Even though we do need meats to be consumed, I also believe we should limit the number of it.
    Thank you for sharing and this is my blog entry :
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/01/module-6-4/

3. Hi Katherine! I tend to do the same as you while eating out in public where i would avoid certain food, like finger food for example. Sometimes I don’t really conform for that reason, sometimes I do it for myself, as if treating myself to good food mean treating myself to being able to act like a high-class person (when I’m just a middle class college student.) Addressing your second paragraph, there are more issues with over producing live-stock for food. I would’t say that hunting is a huge problem for food consumption since since of our food is raised on a farm. Let me know what you think. Heres my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bEx.