Module 6: Social Norms & Societal Issues

1. Being an average college student, I am always rushing from class, to work, to meetings, and just hanging with friends that I don’t have much time to prepare food in a healthy manner. Even though the dorm I live in has a full kitchen on the ground floor, I don’t have time to buy food to prepare there because I’m not sure if I’ll use those ingredients again or just use them in general. It’s a lot easier for me to go get things premade or made in front of me because it’s so convenient. I actually find myself eating a lot better and healthier when I go home for break because I have so much more time on my hands. What’s frustrating is that I like to make my own food when I’m at home but with my current living situation and time constraints it’s hard for me to manage a healthy eating style. It seems today that a lot of college students just don’t have the time to prepare healthy food and make smart decisions about what to put in their mouths.
  2. This norm connects to the societal issue of nutrition and industrialized agriculture. When people choose quick and easy eating options they usually choose unhealthy and processed foods. Also, when there are so many convenient food options in front of us people are more likely to order more food than they actually need and in turn wasting a lot of food. This poor diet results in obesity which is a growing problem all over the world and especially in America. The food pyramid attempts to inform people what we should be eating every day and how much of each portion is considered healthy. This social norm also relates to the concept of industrialized agriculture because the crops we produce are high in calories, sugar and fats. When we mainly eat this type of food it leads to poor diet and nutrition across our country. It’s important for people to monitor what they’re eating and know where it comes from in order to make healthy decisions.

Module 6

2 thoughts on “Module 6: Social Norms & Societal Issues

1. Hi my name is Chris and I enjoyed reading your post very much. I too live in dorms and often have a hard time being able to eat healthy because of time constraints and the lack of easy access to a kitchen. I also eat a lot healthier when I go home for break because I can drive to the store, buy my own fresh ingredients, and then I have the time to prepare them at home. The lack of time that people have to prepare meals is a major reason for obesity, along with how cheap it is to buy unhealthy food. When you ad up the ease and the cheapness it is no wonder why so many people eat unhealthy food options, and this is a major problem that needs to change in the US and in other places all around the world. Here is the link to my blog if you want to check it out.
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/02/everyone-eats-meat/