Gunderson- MOD 6

Social norms have influenced my food choices in several ways: Birthday cake, eggs for breakfast, milk or cream in coffee, coffee not tea, etc. One particular social norm in particular stands out in my opinion and that would be turkey on Thanksgiving. Since I could eat solid foods to last year’s holiday, I have had turkey for the holiday meal. It’s accepted that turkey was served on the first thanksgiving that was shared between early settlers and Native Americans, and ever since it has been a staple for all Thanksgiving meals in the United States, it’s also celebrated in other parts of the world just not as universally. All of my friends growing up, all of my family, and my neighbors all make turkeys for their families on that particular day.

According to the National Turkey Federation, approximately 46 million turkeys are eaten on Thanksgiving in the United States. Given the massive demand for a single type of animal on one day of the year, it is unlikely that the current practices for most people could be supported without massive turkey farms that are supported with unsustainable and industrialized agriculture. The conditions in which these birds are raised are unhealthy and most likely require regular doses of antibiotics to keep them healthy, contributing to problems with antibiotic resistant bacteria. The conditions are also conducive to epidemics for example, last spring in the United States, 8 million turkeys died due to an outbreak of avian flu. I fully support eating turkey on Thanksgiving and, even though it would affect prices drastically, think that more sustainable methods of raising turkeys should be in place. Open pasture grazing, minimal feed, and minimal use of antibiotics.

MOD 6 System Diagram

One thought on “Gunderson- MOD 6

1. Hi Taylor, my name is Julie and I am studying Early Childhood Education! Your post caught my interest because I have always wondered why turkey is still the social norm food for Thanksgiving and how many turkeys are killed and treated poorly. I agree that there are more sustainable ways to raise turkeys, especially during this holiday. In my entry, I talked about how it is a norm to throw away meals that you don’t finish and how this allows there to be societal issues with food waste and the environment. I feel that my post can relate to yours because I am sure many people do not finish their meals on Thanksgiving, so they end up tossing them out. Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/03/throwing-away-perfectly-good-meals-julie-cardillo/