Food Choice & Social Norms – K. Leimkuhler

Food Choice Influenced by Social Norms

I grew up in a household where my dad always cooked our meals for the family. I began the day with making eggs/cereal, packed my own lunch and ended the day with a homemade meal. I never got into fast food and the few times that I ate out at restaurants, we had healthy options. I think that the hardest part about coming to college was the social norm of “convenience eating” whether that be from the dining commons or smaller food stores that sold mostly packaged foods. I struggled to continue eating as healthy as I was used to in my first year at college but quickly learned the helpfulness of making sure I always had healthy snacks in my dorm. I was able to get back to eating fresh (but not necessarily local) food while still being able to eat at the dining commons whenever I needed.

Food Choice Connected to Social Norms

My example above shows a lot about the challenges of “convenience food” that I faced when I first came to college. When people come to school getting used to a schedule can be very difficult and suddenly it’s so much easier to just go to the dining commons or order food from downtown. Generally food choices like this are the not the healthiest and you see things like the “Freshman 15” happen. Even if a student is able to go out and shop for themselves, finding the time for local markets can be tough. Instead, you end up in major supermarkets like Walmart supporting extremely large commercial farms and the farms that are local to the area begin to suffer. The social norms of eating at school can definitely be difficult and a lot of the time it’s due to students beginning to adjust with their new schedules and the lack of time that they have for always cooking (if they are even able to in a dorm) their own food. I think just being introduced to easier ways to buy local/supermarket food and the time to cook and eat it would help things out a lot.

System Diagram

food-diagram-kwl5211

3 thoughts on “Food Choice & Social Norms – K. Leimkuhler

1. Hey there-
    I liked your post particularly your take on convenience as opposed to healthy food consumption. It’s refreshing to know that there are individuals such as yourself making an extra effort to avoid convenience food. Keep up on the healthy track. Other than having healthy snacks in your dorm are you able to cook as well?
    Maureen

Please check out my blog, see the link below:
    http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/04/module-6-food-ag…e-maureen-awitty/

2. Hey! I like how you got back into the idea of eating healthier and I definitely know how hard that is when you come to college. I also wanted to comment on your buying of “fresh”, but not local food. It is really hard to buy local food but in my post I state that it is so important to support local farmers and such because they need the business and they grow amazing food! Definitely take that into consideration 🙂
    Here is a link to my post! http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/04/caitlyn-ramirez-module-6/
    -Caitlyn

3. Hi,
    I love your example because I talked about the convenience of fast food and how it negatively impacts health and the environment. It is so hard to adjust to the college lifestyle when you’re used to home-cooked meals. I applaud you in your efforts to continue eating healthy in college.
    Rachel
    Check out my blog here:
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-bMY