Module 6- Food Choices and Obesity

1) Throughout my life I always had a really tough schedule that made the consumption of food easier when I could get it quick and on the go.  During high school, I found myself eating more fast food then ever before.  When I was younger my mom would always make health meals at night, but once high school and all the aspects of high school came into play those healthy meals fell drastically.  Everyday, I would leave for school and not get home until late at night.  After school I would go to multiple practices which lead to me going to McDonalds or Burger King in-between just to get some food.  This action quickly became a normal event for me that I didn’t know affected the environment in such a negative way.  The wonderful video of “The Hidden Cost of Hamburgers” does a great way of explaining how dangerous it is by simply consuming three fast food burgers a week.  This fact hit me hard because during my high school experience my friends and I were definitely consuming more than three fast food burgers a week.

2) One main societal issue that comes from eating fast food burgers is obesity.  In the world today it seems that the American life evolves around the fast food market.  This may be due to busy schedules, but mainly because it is easier and cheaper than making a healthy meal.  People today are all about saving money, so why would they want to spend more money when they can purchase a two dollar burger?  This may be easier on their pockets, but definitely not easier on their life, their children, or the environment.  These fast food consumptions are bad for all who eat them as they are made extremely quick which leads to high caloric intake.  Children and adults aren’t as physically active as they should be.  The intake of fast food by children set them up for obesity at a young age.  I believe that the social norm should be teaching younger children how to prepare healthier meals with their family rather than having them eat fast foods which Americans are so use to doing today.

food_diagram_tjd5465

2 thoughts on “Module 6- Food Choices and Obesity

1. Hello Tyler. Certainly understandable resorting to fast food on a tight schedule. I find myself hitting up the fast food places on days I get out of class early or at work. Thinking about it, mostly at work I will head down the hill to a Wendy’s and get their 4 for $4 meal. I only get 30 minutes for lunch and I don’t like rushing to get somewhere so I take 10 minutes to get a burger and fries.
    I would have to disagree with your point about saving money though. Personally at least, I have found that making a meal and having leftovers for a night or two tends to be more cost effective than getting the common #1 at the popular chain fast food places. One could make their own burgers and add in some flavor boosters for about $10, $15 if you get fancy and that could last two or three days. Again this just my personal experience, and even though it is cheaper to stay home most of the time, I still go out just because it is faster and less to clean up.

If interested, here is a link to my post,
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/04/food-choice-and-social-norms-8/

2. Hi Tyler,

Good post, I can relate very much to it. I too ate fast food a lot in high school, and the video hit me hard too, because at one point I was eating a lot more than just 3 burgers per week. Obesity is also a huge problem (no pun intended). The amount of fast food that you or I ate surely had its effects, as with most americans. It is a difficult social issue, and it’s even harder since it is the easiest way to eat. Anyway, good job, here is a link to my post – http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/04/food-choice-and-social-norms-hollabaugh/