Social Norms for Food

Growing up, my sisters and I were rarely given fast food. Even though I always had a busy schedule between school, cheer, dance, and work before I could drive my mom would pick me up from school and bring me to one of these places with dinner packed in containers. I always thought this was normal and this is what every parent did when their children had a busy schedule like I did. The only time I ever remember getting fast food was when we traveled to Florida every year. We would drive so this was quick and easy for us today. Even today, I am not a fan of fast food and avoid it if I could. All of my friends think I’m weird because I if I was given the choice to eat fast food I wouldn’t. Most of the food that comes form fast food restaurants are processed not fresh. This can relate to the Livestock’s Long Shadow. There is no nutritional significance in fast food, unlike the food you grow or eat fresh. Fresh food has the best nutritional value for you.

Eating fast food is so normal in America. Everyone around us eats it everyday. When you are eating food like this is can lead to obesity. We see so many obese people around us everyday. There are so many parents who are lazy and do not want to cook so they feed their children fast food. I see this all the time working in a preschool. We talk about what they had for dinner after school and it never fails that least five of them McDonalds or Burger King. If you start your child young on eating fast food, they will continue that unhealthy habit for the rest of their lives. All fast food is, is fatty and greasy foods. You should not put that in your body. You need food with nutritional value in it. Like the module states, “Nutrition here refers broadly to all of our bodies’ physiological needs that we must get through food, including water, energy, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Without proper nutrition, we will be frail, sick, or even dead. Nutrition is, thus, a crucial end use of food, though it is not the only end use. Nutrition also has important environmental and social components.” The social norm for this case is that people think fast food is acceptable to eat when really it should not be eaten at all.

Untitled document-3

One thought on “Social Norms for Food

1. Hi, I think it is great what your mom did for you. I don’t think any kid should really be given fast food except on rare occasions. It teaches them to be dependent on it and acquire a taste for it. My mom didn’t do this for me and gave me fast food often. Because of this I had to work at staying away from it and now I rarely ever eat it!
    Here is a link to mine, if you want to check it out http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/04/module-6-kevin-hosterman/