Module 7 Sustainable Cities

I live in Los Angeles, CA which consists mainly of automobile suburbs with very few pedestrian-oriented and streetcar suburbs. The metropolitan area of Los Angeles is home to 18.2 million people and covers over five counties, including Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, Ventura etc. Even in the neighborhoods where buses are available or stores are at a walkable distance, people still use their car. Los Angeles is definitely known to have crazy traffic to the point where you think you are sitting in a parking lot, especially during rush hour. It is also known for having a lot of smog since we have cold air from the ocean. In order to decrease smog, pollution, and traffic we need to change our transportation system.

In Curitiba, Brazil they were able to build a bus system with rapid dedicated routes into the city center with each bus just a minute apart. This system decreases pollution and traffic which is exactly what Los Angeles needs. However, since the greater Los Angeles area covers many different counties, there would have to be many different bus systems and routes which would take a lot of time and money to create. There has been a metro system put into place in Los Angeles county, but not many people use it because there are infrequent stops and the buses nearby are very slow. If we put the time and money into making a bus rail system that covers more of Los Angeles and has less waiting time between buses I believe more people would be willing to use it. This way people do not have to worry about parking, the hours of delay waiting in traffic, drinking and driving, or car accidents. At the same time we will also create less pollution, the only problem is getting people to break out of habits.

In Bogotá, Colombia they have Ciclovia where they shut down 75 miles of streets to make them car-free. This way, people feel safe to walk, bicycle, and skate while being able to participate in dance, aerobics, and other activities. Events like Ciclovia promote using other modes of transportation while making it a fun experience. Although shutting down 75 miles of streets in Los Angeles would definitely cause an uproar, I believe that holding events on a smaller scale would still make a difference. Certain suburbs that are more pedestrian-oriented could hold events like Ciclovia and make it fun by hosting different outdoor activities. This would attract people from outside the neighborhood and possibly influence the way they think about transportation. I also know people that would gladly ride their bike or skateboard to get around town, but many of our sidewalks are not safe to ride on and there are not many bike lanes on the street. So another solution could be to improve sidewalks and add bike lanes.

5 thoughts on “Module 7 Sustainable Cities

1. Hi my name is Joshua Wilkins, my post can be found at http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/16/module-7-sustainable-cities-2/

I come from a town that is the polar opposite of LA. There is only one streetlight in the center of town and you can walk from one end to the other in a little under 20 minutes. There really is no need to add any bike lanes or adjust traffic in any way because of how pedestrian oriented the whole town already is. Honestly, it is incredibly more sustainable than LA.

2. Hello, I’m Kaitlyn! I chose to respond to your post because Los Angeles could not be more different from my hometown. While Los Angeles is home to over 18 million people, Port Matilda is home to 600 people. However, similar to Port Matilda, you must have a car in order to do most things in LA with such a large population and surplus in businesses one can visit.

If you would like to check out my blog you can follow this link: http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/16/urban-planning/

3. Hi, my name is Baixue Chen. It is so cool that you come from Los Angeles. My best friend is in Los Angeles so I went to LA several times. I believe it is very necessary to have your own car in LA. Without car you hardly go out to have fun.Comparing to other cities in CA, LA does have more traffic problems. However, I believe if you go to Beijing, China, you will not think LA traffic is crazy anymore. Here is the link to my blog:http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/16/m7/

4. Hello, I’m Tom. Los Angeles is essentially the exact opposite of my hometown, which I found to be very interesting. A Ciclovia seems like a great event idea for LA because of the ridiculous traffic. Adding bike lanes and improving sidewalks would be expensive, but it could very quickly and simply help with the traffic. Mass transit seems like another great solution to the traffic issue as well. Here is a link to my post: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/16/thomas-devenney-module-7/