Module 7: Urban Planning

I live in a city called Seoul in South Korea. South Korea is located at the east part of the Asia and it is the southern half of the Korean Peninsula bounded by the East sea in the east, Yellow sea in the west and the Korea Strait in the South. Within the country, Seoul is located at north-west side. Seoul would be considered to consists mainly of both automobile suburbs and pedestrian-oriented neighborhoods. Furthermore, Seoul is the capital and the largest metropolis of South Korea. The city holds 10.01 million people in 605.21 km 2 area and is ranked as the second largest metropolitan area in the world. Seoul is both my parent’s birth place and home and it is one of my favorite cities in the world. Even though I have only lived in Seoul for 3 years, I crucially believe it is one of the busiest, safest, organized and developed cities. Also, Seoul is recognized for its clean, fast, safe public transport as well as the fastest internet speed in the world.

The first city from the module I will be discussing is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The city consists of an exceptional urban setting encompassing the highest point of the Tijuca National Park’s mountains and down to the sea. The city has a well-balanced of urban beauty and natural environment. It is also located on an inlet of the coast of Guanabara Bay, allowing natural harbor and port. Similar to Rio de Janeiro, Seoul is also located in an area with natural environment surrounding it. However, unlike Rio de Janeiro surrounded by ocean, the city is surrounded by 8 mountains, with Mount Nam situated in the central area of the city. To become more sustainable, I personally think my city should use Rio de Janeiro’s balanced setting of urban and nature as a model to try to recover or enhance more nature aspects. For example, Seoul is one of leading cities that has the world’s fastest growing economies. Due to this, the city consists majority of urban and city features rather than balancing with natural aspects. With Rio de Janeiro as a model, the city should plant more greenness to the city brining the environmental factor to the city.

The second city from the module I will be using is Detroit, Michigan. Detroit is the most populous city in the country and is also one of the largest cities and the center of a three-county urban area. The city is a major port on the Detroit River as well. However, unlike the city’s rank, Detroit has been acting out an interesting urban agriculture things and made a great case study for urban agriculture. As far as I know, Seoul does not have a lot of urban agriculture practices or may not even have started to adapt this practice. While we are also one of the busiest and urban metropolitan area, the city did not focus on implementing agriculture contribution to sustain urban development but rather focused more on the economy. I think the city should adapt urban agriculture practices like Detroit and continue the urban development.

2 thoughts on “Module 7: Urban Planning

1. Eunice,
    This is a fascinating post! I had no idea that Seoul was the second largest metropolitan area in the world with more than 10 million people. Your statement that Seoul has clean, fast, safe public transportation has me wondering what it would be like to compare it to what we have in the United States. I am sure that we in the U.S. would learn a lot about how and what we should be building. And, you have the fastest internet speed in the world? Amazing! I also like the comments in your Rio de Janeiro section. Yours is an excellent analysis of the city’s needs and suggestions for future development.
    Mike Evangelista
    If you are interested in my post, which is mainly about Newark, NJ, you may find it at http://sites.psu.edu/geog30/2016/03/18/geog-030-module-7-urban-planning/

2. I like your comments on Detroit regarding urban farming. Lots of space sitting awaiting redevelopment. Until such time why not make great use of the vacant and available lands for the community whereby having and promoting urban community gardens for its citizenry.

Brian
    https://wp.me/p3RCAy-cjv