Module 7 – Kyle Hoke

I am from East Stroudsburg, in Northeast Pennsyvlania. According to the 2010 census, there are 176,567 people living in the Metropolitan area. I would consider my town to be an Automobile Suburb. The module states that these are neighborhoods designed for residents to commute into the city via car, and many residents make the 1 and half hour commute to New York City for work on a daily basis. Only around the college and certain areas downtown are there sidewalks to walk along the streets. Other places like restaurants, stores and businesses, and our mall are in different locations and often difficult to walk to, so the car is the main mode of transportation. The hilly geography is another huge discouraging factor to walking. I was born and raised in East Stroudsburg, so taking a car on even short trips is normal for me. Luckily, even with the mass use of vehicles, the environment is still relatively healthy. The air is clean, and there are many national recreation areas with healthy forests to enjoy.

The first city I’d like to discuss is Curitiba, Brazil. Although it is significantly larger than my town, their model bus system is definitely something East Stroudsburg could look at. East Stroudsburg has a bus system; however, it is not used very often due to lack of knowledge of the system and sporadic stops. Using the Curitiba as inspiration, a massive renovation for the actual bus stops could help immensely. The module states that our minds need to transition too, and since most people from my town don’t use the bus system, renovating the bus stops to be safer, cleaner, and simpler to use than they are now will ease this mental transition. The benefits of using busses to transport people are there, but there need to be incentives to ride the bus like they have in Curitiba.

The second city I’d like to discuss is Copenhagen, and their programs to reduce traffic. For this, I will focus specifically on the downtown borough region of East Stroudsburg, because the rest of the town would be too hilly to promote consistent cycling or walking as transportation. Copenhagen closed a 1 kilometer stretch of road to cars. There are many stretches of road in downtown East Stroudsburg that should be closed to traffic. On these streets are restaurants and shops that often suffer due to the fact that it can be hard to find a parking spot and walk across the busy streets. If these streets were closed and traffic was routed around, people would have more incentives to safely walk around and explore the vibrant downtown region. The downtown borough contains around 11,000 people. Convincing these people that walking or cycling is easier than driving a car would have huge sustainable benefits for the environment.

2 thoughts on “Module 7 – Kyle Hoke

1. Hi Kyle! My name is Lisa and I am from Lititz, Pennsylvania. Similar to your town, the part that I live in is very dependent on cars. Typically you never see people walking around unless you are downtown. Our down was made for cars and it makes life super easy for me! I really enjoyed reading your blog post and I would for you to check mine out! Here’s a link: http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/18/module-7-7/

2. Hey Kyle!
    My name is Dorish and I’m a student at Penn State University Park. Here is a link to my blog if you’re interested:
    http://geog030.dutton.psu.edu/2016/03/18/dorish-nguyen-urban-planning/

I also discussed Curitiba, Brazil in my module and talked about their bus system. Where I’m from, South Bend, also has a bus system that is not used often or widely known about. I think both our cities could take a lot from Curtitiba’s system and try to encourage the cities to create better system and for those to use it. I like how on your second location, you spoke about how there are places that often suffer due to lack of parking spaces due to crowded streets. This caught my attention because South Bend has the same thing on a little strip called Eddy St. near Notre Dame campus. I definitely think routing around traffic would help in this case also.

Great post!
    – Dorish Nguyen