Natural Hazards

1)According to the Nathan World Map of Natural Hazards, my hometown Potomac, Maryland experiences heavy rainfall and tropical cyclones. The Nathan World Map overall, is a generalized look on natural hazards that occur in the world. It does not specifically address each city and their natural hazards. According to the Nathan World Map, Maryland experiences heavy rainfall and the coast experiences tropical cyclones or hurricanes, which is accurate. However, Maryland also has lots of meteorological hazards such as cold waves, heat waves, hurricanes, freezing rain and even the occasional tornado. I don’t think the Nathan World Map is suited for identifying natural hazards in cities because shows outline of natural hazards worldwide, however, not for specific cities.

2)I decided to look into the heat wave in Kenya, Africa. Residents throughout Kenya are experiencing unusually high temperatures, which are causing an increase in water usage, dehydration and human discomfort. In Potomac, Maryland, heat waves can occur, however, we are better prepared for them than Kenya. We have multiple reservoirs throughout Potomac, better education on heat waves and better technology. This makes Potomac less vulnerable to heat waves than Kenya. The scale of the heat wave for Kenya is seen as local since it is only affecting the residents of Turkana County. These high temperatures are causing the residents to experience restless nights and dehydration. If this disaster occurred in my hometown, it would be seen as a big issue since the population in Potomac is much greater than the counties in Kenya. However, since there is less vulnerability in Potomac, wealthy families would be able to travel away from the heat and technology would be easier to purchase. In order to reduce vulnerability in my hometown, it is important to be prepared and become familiarized with heat waves. By having enough water, fans and air conditioning in Potomac, residents would be living in much better conditions, therefore less vulnerable, than the residents of Kenya.

3)In Potomac, Maryland, we are susceptible to a variety of meteorological, geological and hydrological hazards, however, Potomac is still at a relatively low risk compared to the rest of the US. Potomac has experienced droughts, heat waves, cold waves, hurricanes, freezing rain and tornados. One rather traumatic event that occurred in Maryland was an F3 tornado with close to 200 mph winds. It occurred in 2001 and caused 55 injuries, 2 deaths, and $101 million property damages. Since I was so young when this tornado occurred, I didn’t really learn about it, however, I remember my parents teaching me different procedures to take incase a tornado ever occurred again.

http://www.homefacts.com/tornadoes/Maryland/Montgomery-County/North-Potomac.html

4)In order to reduce vulnerability to natural hazards in Potomac, it is crucial for all residents to be educated on the issues and be provided governance. Education allows for residents to learn how to avoid or reduce impacts. Cities could provide articles, or classes to take on impacts and reduction of natural hazards in order to better prepare and educate their residents. Through governance, the government could create policies, agencies, and support groups for natural hazards in order to warn and make residents aware of the hazards ahead of time. I believe that residents have the capability and most influential impact on reducing vulnerability through the way they teach their families, children or peers about these natural hazards. If I learn about the proper procedures and how to stay safe and prepared during natural hazards, I could teach others to educate them as well.

One thought on “Natural Hazards

1. Hi! My name is Julie and here is a link to my post: https://wp.me/p3RCAy-cMi.
    I was interested in your post because I am not from an area that experiences hurricanes and the other weather you mentioned. I agree with you when you talked in section 4 about how education and knowledge is important for a natural hazard. I liked the point you made about how influential humans are when it comes to the vulnerability of a natural hazard.